overall
Brewed by Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Westvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 3809   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Westvleteren has the smallest output of the Trappist breweries, with only a small part of their production available outside of Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MeadMe (1650) - Fishhawk, Florida, USA - MAR 29, 2009
A: I drank this baby properly from a Westvleteren Chalice. It poured a deep brownish hue that glimmered a wonderful red in the sunlight...Beautiful. A wonderful 2 finger head emerges which quickly fades as tiny bubbles race to the top of the glass. S: I dont know that I can describe it in words so I will keep it simple Yum! Dark fruits and Molasses with a slight burn of alcohol. I found my self sniffing the bottle as I consumed it. T: In one word Complex. There is so much going on here yet it seems to be so minimal. Fruit, Dark candied sugar, and earth all compete with each other to come to the forefront. None are too forward though, they are meshed together in such a perfect way. This beer is like the most wonderufl Port Wine I have ever dreamed of consuming. All of this despite the fact that you would never know this tips the charts at over 10% APV May God Bless the Monks of Westvleteren. M: As a quad you would expect a full bodied brew, and this lives up to that. If does not stop there though. It has a certain richness to it, creamyness, its chewy but balanced. D: Lets be real. This is to be consumed one Chalice at a time. Cost and rareness of this beer make it a real treat to consume. This beer is so much about experience that you would never want to devalue that by having 2 in a row. That being said the beer is heavenly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
vikingguy (1097) - Carver, Minnesota, USA - MAR 27, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2010 3/27/09. Pours a foamy, creamy tan head. Murky brown color w/ red tinge. Sweet malts on the nose with notes of cherries. Extremely rich and complex taste...so many layers. Malt, dark fruits & caramel dominate at first and then fades to an herbal hoppiness. Is it the best??? Certainly one of the best. The finish was a little too astringent for my taste but all in all, an excellent Quad. I have a second bottle that I will cellar for a while and will re-rate at a later date. 2/5/10 - Cellared for nearly a year. My original rating is still accurate, may have mellowed a bit as the aftertaste is less astingent. Amazing!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gltk (1) - , NETHERLANDS - MAR 25, 2009 does not count
I have driven from holland to belgium to collect two cases of this beer, a 650k drive. after a drive like that you fear that the beer will not be as good as you expect it to be. however I can tell you it is worth it. its a damn good beer! Extremely smooth and rich in flavour and I have to agree with Coltrane (South Carolina, USA), the after taste lasts till long after you have finished your beer, and it is an after taste that you will cherish!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Coltrane (108) - South Carolina, USA - MAR 24, 2009
A perfectly brewed beer. Not a huge quad fan, but this was fantastic. Extremely smooth and complex with hints of any dark fruit you can think of. Aftertaste that lasts for days, which makes this beer maybe the best sipper. Smell the the spiciness and revel in it. Worth the hype, if not the inflated American price.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
AmEricanbrew (6878) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - MAR 24, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 28, 2011 Have not drank one of these since the summer of 2001.... Clear copper color with a fleeting tan head. Sweet aroma is grapejuice and spicy yeasts. Smooth medium body. Sweet yeasty, earthy spicy brown ale flavors with some citrus and pit fruits...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Belgian22 (17) - Deerfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 24, 2009
First of all, I have no idea how everyone gets their hands on these in the states... I was IN Belgium and most places I looked were out. Luckily, I strolled into Brasserie Cambrinus in Bruges on a whim and there, sitting before me among all the other world favorites... I had my pick of all three varieties. Naturally I went for the king. There isnt much I could say that hasnt already been said by people with far greater palates and vocabularies - but in this tasters opinion, it was worth every bit of hype. I took about half an hour drinking mine, be sure to do the same for yours.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jamvin23 (162) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 19, 2009
bottle. Very dark brown with some ruby highlights. Aroma: Vinous, dark fruits, plums, raisin, very slight but good alcohol. Taste is around the same, fruity especially dark fruits, toffee, caramel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Chrism86 (294) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - MAR 18, 2009
Pours cloudy red/brown with a nice beige coloured head that persists for some time. Nose is quite fruit driven, big raisin and prune notes with a good amount of licorice aswell. Palate is full and creamy, with a big rum n raisin character. Supported by some dark caramel/chocolate malt, but no overt sweetness whatsoever. Finishes with a good hit of abv driven licorice with hops and yeast an afterthought. Unbelievable depth and richness. Little doubt why it is so highly regarded!

cr0n0s (3) - , NETHERLANDS - MAR 18, 2009 does not count
This isnt just a great beer, its unique and I can attest this beer has earned every bit of hype that it receives.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
travita (4970) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 18, 2009
Bottle thanks for sharing Jon. The look is a darker red color with not a whole lot of head. The smell is toffee, honey, sweet, malts, fruits, raisans, and caramel. The taste is caramel, alcohol, fruits, raisans, sweet, and toffee.