overall
RATINGS: 1393   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
At Weyerbacher, we prefer to brew things true to European style guidelines, so our barley wine is definitely on the malty side, without being overly sweet. Notes of date or perhaps fig on the palate follow a pleasurably malty aroma to your taste buds. The finish is warm and fruity, and begs for the next sip.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

balloonbuffoon (923) - - APR 8, 2018
12floz bottle, BOD: 01.29.2018, BBD: 01.29.2023, ~$12/four-pack. Poured into a nonic glass where what little head develops then quickly dissolves to a faint ring atop a red-brown body. Maraschino cherries and caramel together create a smooth aroma, but flavor and feel is reminds me of cough syrup. Thick, and taste is caramel and metallic with touches of maraschino cherry as well. Perhaps I'm not a fan of traditional takes on the barleywine style, because this is second one in a row that has disappointed.

tfredvik (2151) - Oslo, NORWAY - APR 3, 2018
7 - 3 - 7 - 4 - 15
Pours a crystal clear, deep amber body with a very small, fizzy, very short-lived head. Sweet, malty and moderate aroma of caramel, rather sweet caramel. Also dark dried fruits, and chalk. In the back I find orange marmalade and apple. Quite strong flavour of sweet caramel, burnt sugar, alcohol, and dark dried fruits. A herbal background with some liquorice. Moderate sweet taste with a long-lasting, heavy bitter finish. Full body, smooth texture, soft carbonation. A good one, but not my favourite barley wine.
[35.5 cl bottle, enjoyed 3 months after bottling, from Vinmonopolet Ullevål, Oslo]

Finn (8764) - Tromsø, NORWAY - FEB 11, 2018
Flaske 330ml fra Vinmonopolet Tromsø - Sentrum. Dyprød med et middels høyt skum som daler raskt med en kraftig bruselyd. Lett sherryaroma. Smaken mandler. Lett tørr alkoholisk ettersmak.

BeerVegard (30) - NORWAY - FEB 1, 2018
Pours hazy brown with minimal head, aroma of figs, lemon peel, some malt. Taste is dark fruits, sweet maltiness. Thick mouthfeel. long finish with sherry and figs.

rhoihessegold (2501) - Mainz, Rineland-Palatinate, GERMANY - JAN 31, 2018
31-01-18 // bottle at home. 2 1/2 years cellared. Murky brown. Nose reminds me of marsala. Taste of strong sweet malts with some raisin and fruits and sherrylike finish.

aoiioushi (32) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 29, 2018
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2018 dark color, no head, high alcohol, big beer, big malty flavor, very good example of a smooth barleywine.

RuneStumo (2747) - Haugesund, NORWAY - JAN 27, 2018
27.01.2018. 0,33l Bottle. Vinmonopolet Oasen. Dark brown colour with tan head. Rich malty flavours. Strong and very rich. Sweet with lots of alcohol. Notes of liqorice.

Bitterbill (2113) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 26, 2017
From Aug 2007 I got this one in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks again, John! It pours from 12oz bottle a cloudy orange-brown with a very small head of foam that shrinks to a few small islands near the center of the glass and there's no lacing to speak of. The smell is a strong dose of caramel malt and some hop bitterness. The taste has a good malty flavour...the caramel is big and in your face. I can taste some bittering in the background and it cuts the sweetness a bit but the malt sweetness is *still* king here and I can't deny that it isn't tasty. A few more sips in and I'm starting to notice the alcohol both in the taste and in the swallow. Very warming indeed. Maybe this is too fresh a bottle(no dates on label or bottle) and it needs some aging but whatever, I opened it and I'm going to finish it, even if it takes me all day. ;^) Oh and don't get me wrong, this is far from a drain pour, it's just not at the stage where I want a BWSA to be. Same thing happened with the most recent Bigfoot that I now have tucked away.. Bottom line: This one has potential to be a really good BWSA. From what I sampled, it's just a tad too "hot".

rdixon77 (3175) - Georgia, USA - OCT 21, 2017
Bruiser batleywine. Big malt sweetness with dark fruit and some Belgiany bubblegum aspect. Boozy burn. Does the trick.

EvanFriend (670) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2017
Aroma is caramel, dark fruit, a hint of bubblegum. Taste is mostly caramel, some dried fruit notes, alcoholic warmth at the end. Good beer.