overall

RATINGS: 1386   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
At Weyerbacher, we prefer to brew things true to European style guidelines, so our barley wine is definitely on the malty side, without being overly sweet. Notes of date or perhaps fig on the palate follow a pleasurably malty aroma to your taste buds. The finish is warm and fruity, and begs for the next sip.

kane (111) - USA - JAN 13, 2005
A sweet wood coffee toffee aroma. A reddish, slightly hazy appearance. Sweet malt, alcohol taste. A very sweet BW that has a little more alcohol in the aroma nad taste than I like.

richlikebeer (839) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2005
Looks nice, dark reddish color, not much in terms of smell. Loads of malt in the aftertaste, with the main flavor very similar to the Merry Monks Ale with some fruit tones and maybe a little bit of roastecd flavor as well. After this, I really want to try Insanity, where the bourbon flavor might take away some of the bitterness.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JAN 4, 2005
bottle. poured abmer/brown with a small fizzy tight head. Sweet malty aroma. Big mouth feel with a solid presence of alcohol. I taste fruit, maybe dates like they mention. There is a pleasant fiz and a following warming, the finish is dry and tart. Nice.

bu11zeye (13239) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2005
(Bottle) Pours a brown body with a small beige head. Aroma of caramel, raisin, and light alcohol. Warm, alcoholic palate. Flavor of alcohol and dark fruits.

JFGrind (2074) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2004 Sweet fruit aroma, brick red body and foam lasted the duration of the sample. Medium bodied, alcohol twang greets at the end of every sip. Nice blend of malts. Numerous Blithering Idiot’s could make my soul numb.

lamas (1661) - Washington DC, USA - DEC 22, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2005 Bottle. Pours a pretty pastel red with thick off-white head. Aroma is of sour fruits and hops. Taste is malty and sweet but finishes very bitter. High ABV is VERY noticeable and is the dominant taste. Tastes almost like whiskey. Quite one-dimensional. Hmmmm...maybe this was a bad bottle. It came from a variety case.

AcctError13610 (124) - Montgomery, New York, USA - DEC 21, 2004
no head pours to a amber body. The aroma definatly hits you with the alcohol but there is also fruit scents in there. They do an outstanding job by using the execellent flavors to mask the alcohol. There was chocolate flavors, grape and mabey grapefruit. execellent beer.

waveman352 (178) - Saratoga Springs, New York, USA - DEC 20, 2004
bottle. Before this beer my only other barley wine I had tried was Brooklyn’s Monster Ale. I really didn’t like the Monster Ale but this barley wine changed my mind. Smells of caramel and obviously a strong alcohol scent like that of wine. Poured a cloudy amber orange. Sweet malty taste with hints of caramela nd chocolate. I have to have more barley wines to compare now but this was a dominate beer.

GoldenSpunky (120) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 16, 2004
This is a damn good barley wine. When I smelled this beer I knew I was in for a treat. The aroma is to die for, so chocolately and sweet yet subtle and sexy. The test didnt let me down with subtle alcoholic flavors combined with outstanding flavors. Very malty but not too sweet. Very Very good barley wine. Goood beer to end the night on!

meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - DEC 16, 2004
What an appropriate name for a barley wine, definitely fits the description of my disposition after too much of the style. This pours out a deep amber color with a tall off white head that quickly collapses to a covering of foam and bubbles. The aroma is filled with the scent of sweet ripe fruit joined by a sharp but not overpowering scent of alcohol. Sweet malts greet the tongue first with fruit flavors and molasses. The finish is a bit tongue numbing with alcohol and slightly sweet. Mouthfeel is full and syrupy will sufficient carbonation. This takes a hit on drinkability from the alcohol taste that numbs my tongue, I dare not have another one or I might not be able to feel my tongue at all. Fresh I don’t care too much for it but I will have to age a bottle of this and see how it turns out. If the alcohol mellows this could turn into something much better.