overall

RATINGS: 1397   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
At Weyerbacher, we prefer to brew things true to European style guidelines, so our barley wine is definitely on the malty side, without being overly sweet. Notes of date or perhaps fig on the palate follow a pleasurably malty aroma to your taste buds. The finish is warm and fruity, and begs for the next sip.

zathrus13 (1776) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2007 Deep amber/red color. Aromas of caramel, sweet malt, yeast and fruit. Tastes much less sweet than expected, actually ending a bit bitter. The caramel and fruit come thu the most.

PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 1, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2004 Pours dark into the glass with small head. Aroma is heavy with fruit and vanilla. Smooth on the palate just the way I like it. This will keep you warm when your cold. Highly enjoyed it and I felt it after I knocked off the bottle. It’s 11%! Just the way I like them.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 26, 2004
My favorite beer name ever! It’s what you inevitably have to call me when you catch me at my drunkest... Appearance: deep, dark, tawny violet color, short, rusty head. Aroma: heady, bold, sharp, strong, fruity, with notes of leather, dates, grapes, cherries, and pure alcohol. Taste: rather smooth on the palate at first, big fruit, highly hoppy, muge malt, but nothing too obtrusive, very mellow, actually, with a thick raisiny feel on the palate. Rich and rounded, deliciously fruity, not as harshly alcoholic as some barlwywines, but rather nice. Of course, I took my notes with information taken from the bottle (which gives away nothing) and my own perceptions. Now that I enter this in and see that it’s a whopping 11.1%....now, WOW! Why did not have a greater impact upon me? Huh! Well, to conclude this transcription from my notes, "A very nice, hot, fruity, happy little barleywine."

jasonp (1581) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - SEP 25, 2004
Pours a dark amber brown with a quickly disappearing beige head. Aroma is spicy with a hint of honey. Taste is expectedly very malty with a solid hop presence. Sweet with notes of caramel, rum, dark fruits (fig, raisin etc) and some cherry. Alcohol is very much present but not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is very full and round with lively carbonation. Nice barleywine.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - SEP 7, 2004
Bottle. Red-orange, average head. Very nice fruity-alcohol aroma and there is an excellent followthrough into the flavor. There isn’t much of a citrus/grapefruit presence compared with other barleywines. I get more of a presence of peach/nectarine and vanilla. A very orginal and good take on the style; I wish I could get this in Texas.

FROTHINGSLOSH (7796) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 31, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2011 Probably my wife’s favorite barleywine and one that I will drink without hesitation. +++Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured a mahogany color with a medium sized creamy brown head. The aroma was fruity, sour, and had elements of cinnamon, caramel and molasses. The palate was thick and syrupy. The flavor is fruity, bitter, hoppy and has some roasted caramel with cinnamon and gingerbread throughout. The finish is long with toasted caramel and gingerbread lingering. Excellent.

intouch (17) - Lewisberry, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 27, 2004
A very typical Barley Wine although lighter than most. Color is deep amber with no head. A smooth finish but a little unpleasant aftertaste. Overall, a nice attempt at a Barley Wine style ale.

Quetzalcoatl (153) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 26, 2004
Draft; Murky kinda reddish color. Mostly malt here, little to no hop presence; not as strong of a ripe fruit flavor as I was expecting, although still enjoyable. The alcohol is well hidden. I remember this being better out of the bottle, perhaps a later re-rate is in order.

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - AUG 24, 2004
Color is hard to describe,but I will say rusty with a thin layer of foam.Cloudy-hazy,uuuummmmm,looks good.Malts sugary wonderful syrupy maltiness.smells like overripe bananas just before you make banana bread.Tastes the same.Awesome.Almost like the flaming Bananas Foster dessert they serve at restaurants I can’t afford to eat at.

scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 23, 2004
Reddish-amber, thin white head. Nose of sweet caramel and brown sugar, fig, raisin and prune. Sweet and malty with hops trying to balance. Not quite, but close. Full bodied, lively carboantion, dry warming finish. It certainly is worth trying fresh, but aging would probably do it wonders. Either way, it’s still pretty good brew. Weyerbacher continues to do good things out of PA.