overall

RATINGS: 1386   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
At Weyerbacher, we prefer to brew things true to European style guidelines, so our barley wine is definitely on the malty side, without being overly sweet. Notes of date or perhaps fig on the palate follow a pleasurably malty aroma to your taste buds. The finish is warm and fruity, and begs for the next sip.

jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - MAY 6, 2004
A bit disappointing. Pours with a thin head but maintained head. Aroma is of chocolate, dark fruit, and cinnamon. Flavor is of chocolate covered raisins. Its nice but has a thin palate and is a bit to subdued for my tastes. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden. I just like a barleywine to be thick and super-rich and this is the polar opposite, it is pleasent though.

beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 1, 2004
This is a good Barley Wine. Dark fruit, malty, and sweet flavors. Finishes smooth, creamy, and clean.

sfontain (851) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2004
My highest alcohol beer yet, and my first barley wine. Pours dark ruby/amber with almost no head. Definitely some alcohol in the nose, with malts and raisin and brown sugar. Flavor definitely has an alcohol bite; fairly sweet and malty with dark fruit like in the aroma. Fairly rich. Overall, I like this stuff, but I wouldn’t mind a little more fruitiness in the aroma and flavor.

tiggmtl (4543) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - APR 27, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2005 Re-rate (16-Jan-05 - 8-3-7-2-15=3.5): Candy, bubblegum, dark fruits, some cabbagey DMS in the aroma. Clear brown with light tan head that recedes to cover. Sweet malts, dark fruits, candy-like sweetness and some cabbage flavours. Light carbonation and smooth texture is perhaps a bit watery. Bottle sampled with asheft, beerbuzzmontreal, MartinT, muzzlehatch, Rastacouere and Yowie.
Original rating (4/27/04 - 8-4-8-4-16=4.0): Big, sweet malt in the nose - dark fruit, raisin, plum, brown sugar. Burnished copper colour with thin, white head that recedes to ring. Sweet malt and sherry flavours. Strong alcohol kick. More dark fruit. Smooth, still, creamy mouthfeel. Bottle.

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - APR 27, 2004
12 oz bottle, snifter. Plum, caramel, raisins, cherries with flowery hops. Deep garnet body with a thin, creamy, white head. Heavily sweet flavor becomes a moderately sweet, lightly bitter finish. Heavy body, oily texture, soft carbonation. The bottom line is: heavy and sweet (these are good things) just a bit simple.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - APR 26, 2004
Hey, it was named after me, okay? My eyes were just drawn to the description given by brewer, and I'll be damned if it's not right up the same patg I was on - the malty side, but certainly with enough to back it that it doesn't become cloying. I do favor some that have a more asertive hop character, but that isn't keeping me from enjoying this. Love the way it just keeps adding to my idiocy.

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 25, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2007 Dark, almost opaque plum color under a short-lived tan head. Heavy, sweet aroma of overripe plum and wood. The big malt flavor and body has a good dose of alcohol but it fits well with the strong sweetness. Cherries, brown sugar and vanilla. The finish tingles your tongue, reminds me of cherry cough syrup. The beer has a nice viscous mouthfeel.

raymow (1787) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2004
True to the barley wine style, this is an excellent example. Nice deep reddish-brown color, sweet, fruity aroma and decent flavor with a hidden high ABV. My only comlpaint is that it seems a bit flat.

biznizness (1128) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - APR 24, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2006 A hearty and delicious ale. Sweet at first, but you can taste the alcohol as it goes down. The alcohol is prominent, a little too much so. Very malty and delish. This beer grew on me bigtime. Love it.

rauchbier (3933) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - APR 21, 2004
Bottle conditioned? Deep chestnut, good off white head and quite low condition. Big sweet barley wine maltiness with lots of drambuie. Thick and chewy in the mouth, malt heavy with an oily butteriness and sinus clearing alcohol notes. Long sweet toffee malt and alcohol in the finish.