overall
RATINGS: 1631   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Fast on the heels of our fantasticly reformulated Hops Infusion, our brewers have picked up the gauntlet and brewed a Double IPA using exclusively Simcoe(R) Hops! This west coast Hops was created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc. and carries a fantastic flavor profile abounding with citrusy-grapefruit, piney, resiny notes that pushes this Double IPA over the top. 9.0% ABV in the brew gives it a nice malt foundation as well. Draft and bottles, 12 oz. in PA, 22 oz. out of state (as we have no 6-packs),

johnykat (65) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2006
NIce IIPA. Very nice. The hops are upfront as they should be. The hops have the piney/citrus taste that they should. There is enough malt there to back the hops up though. The flavors are very nice as they range from peach, to tropical to bannana. I really enjoyed this beer and I think this is one people should seek out. Weyerbacher has made it a year round beer and that is good news for all!

porterhouse (1580) - Boothbay, Maine, USA - DEC 31, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2007 (22 oz bottle from <A HREF=http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/maryland/baltim target=blank>Wells Discount Liquors) Hop lovers delight...Pours slightly cloudy medium-light amber/orange with about one finger of light orangey-biege head. Pungent aroma of fresh pine. As head recedes some candy malt sweetness comes through. Mouthfeel smooth, lightly sticky on back end. Heavy sheets of lacing. Flavor is piney and malty sweet. Pretty well-balanced but piney hops are predominant flavor. More smooth than sharp. Medium bitter. Alcohol well-hidden but definitely has a "big beer" feel.

chriso (7533) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 30, 2006
Bottle, at Kookfest, September 2006. Hazy, dark amber colour. I must be developing a resistance to big US IPAs because I’m finding "not as extreme as I expected" appearing in my notes with increasing regularity. And I wrote those words for this beer. Now, I’m not saying it isn’t big and hoppy, because it is. And the grapefruit and pine is there. But the bitterness was not over the top and it drunk very smoothly for me. If anything, I found it a little sweet. But I enjoyed it very much.

blueduk (118) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - DEC 29, 2006
Pours clear reddish brown (or deep golden if you like) with a big frothy beige head. The hop aromatics are grapefruit, lemon/lime, and a bit of celery. Pine and resin not what you might expect from advertising. There are noticeable caramel underpinnings. The beer is full-bodied, thick, and rich, a delightful palate. The beer has a striking flavor as well, unlike anything I recall. The hop bitterness combines with a strong malt backbone in a unique way. I can only describe it as a weird bready-vegetable combo, but I like vegetables and I mean this positively. I just can’t put my finger on it. The beer displays relatively controlled acidity and bitterness with a big malt support. The finish is long, bittering and dry. I like this a lot.

coldbrewky (1730) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2006
Bomber: Pours a deep golden and produces a rocky frothy head like the Delaware river in flood. Pungent citrusy aroma from three feet away. That should give you some idea of the hoppiness of this critter. Hops thru and thru. It actually gets hoppier the more it breathes. Body buttery and smoothly fullbodied yet tart, crisp and malty at the same time. Dont buy just one of them. Actually a bit too hoppy for my tastes but a fine, fine beer.

smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - DEC 29, 2006
Bottle - WOW, what a beer! Strong pine hop nose with a touch of citrus. Beautiful deep orange color with a thick, creamy beige head. Gorgeous! The flavor is amazing - just an absolute sweet spot beer for me. Plenty of malt, but tons of the piney, citrus hops atop. Full palate. Unbelievable!

k4df4l (154) - DTown, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2006
Pours a clear dark orange/amber color with a persistent head. Strong piney citrus aroma. Sweet malty flavor w/ good strong finish from the hops. Slight syrupy palate. Alcohol is well hidden.

realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - DEC 26, 2006
12oz bottle (thanks to ty5592) poured a cloudy brownish/ orange color with almost no head. The aroma had more of a malt backbone than hop. The taste was very bitter and over the top, but not as good as expected. The flavors start to get better as it warms with the bitterness and maltiness coming together nicely.

kevin62 (267) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 24, 2006
This poured out a light brown with a large white head.This brew had a pine aroma,of course,also some floral notes.You also get some malt as it warms up with a clean finish.Good beer fot it style.

can8ianben (1554) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2006
Wonderful. This one reminds me of Dreadnaught or 90 minute, its one of my favourite double IPAs i’ve ever had. Delicious in many ways, I love the deep amber colour and huge frothy head.