overall
RATINGS: 1608   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Fast on the heels of our fantasticly reformulated Hops Infusion, our brewers have picked up the gauntlet and brewed a Double IPA using exclusively Simcoe(R) Hops! This west coast Hops was created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc. and carries a fantastic flavor profile abounding with citrusy-grapefruit, piney, resiny notes that pushes this Double IPA over the top. 9.0% ABV in the brew gives it a nice malt foundation as well. Draft and bottles, 12 oz. in PA, 22 oz. out of state (as we have no 6-packs),

fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - DEC 23, 2006
Beautfiul caramel sudsy slow dissolving head with orange caramel coloring. Nose is nice even citrus and the flavor starts as very smooth slight caramel sweet pine that expands with a nice bitter grapefruitiness all the way to the finish where it really dries out. Exceptional. Nice job!

Sammy (12623) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 21, 2006
A bomber that is greatly drinkable. Just hops, and nicely malted but still on the bitter side. Must be enjoyed on its own, with another IPA would not be as much of a standout. A good IPA and not overdone double. Lace in glass, and good colour and head. Hoppy aroma, and nothing but.

BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - DEC 21, 2006
Bomber. Poured a hazy amber with a nice creamy off-white head that mostly lasted and left huge sticky lacing behind. Big hoppy aroma with pine and a caramel background. Piney flavor with citrus and floral that is evened out with malts. Comfortable bitterness throughout. Medium to full body with a smooth texture. Bitter aftertaste mixed with a light hint of malts. Very nice start to my Christmas break!

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 20, 2006
Bottle kindly shared by Jason. Hazy orange body under a modest white head. At first the aroma hits you with a spicy orange flesh and juniper berry hop blast but once your nose becomes accustomed to that a pleasant nougat and caramel sweetness come into play. Does that same sweetness appear in the flavor? Yes but who cares? This beer features a fantastic grapefruit citrus hop flavor w/o too much bitterness. Late hopped? As an added bonus the mouthfeel has a satisfying viscosity, it lets the tasty resins stick around. Lip-licking good stuff.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 20, 2006
Pours with a slightly cloudy, amber body topped by a thick head with a good amount of lacing. It’s slightly sweet yet hoppy and piney with a nice underlying malt note and a slight flowery note. Medium to full bodied and warming.

chimplechamp (601) - Oslo, NORWAY - DEC 18, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2007 bottle generously donated to me from papadukes-- pours a deep ruby amber. creamy cream colored head, with probably the best lacing I’ve seen to date. smells piney,with some citrus and toffee. quite delicious. bitter, as you can expect from a double ipa but not over the top initial flavor also has some sweet to it, toffee. the bitter is all in the finish.

Heathen (1500) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - DEC 18, 2006
(I apologize in advance for the legnth of these comments, but THIS BEER CHANGED MY LIFE!) Prior to trying this beer I had only tried on or two other IPAs or Double IPAs. I had no idea what hops could be. I knew that IPAs were hoppy and when I thought of hoppy I thought of the bitter matallic aftertaste of something like Heineken. With an IPA I just figured that tast would just be stronger. Boy was I ever wrong — I had no idea hops could taste and smell like citrus fruit or pine. I tried this beer when it first came out this past summer and was glad to find it again recently and have just found out that it will be a year round offering. While I stayed away from IPAs I’ll try anything from Weyerbacher and this beer opened the door for me to the wide world of IPAs. Before this I mostly tried stouts, porters, barley wines and anything belgian; now Double IPAs are one of my favorite styles. Bottle. Poured a hazy, medium brown. with a huge off-white head that lasted well and laced beautifully. There was light caramel malt aroma with a heavy grapefruit hop. There was heavy candy sweetness and a heavy grapefruit bitterness that were perfectly balanced. A long finish. Syrupy but not too thick and suprisingly flat on the tongue after the carbonation looked to good in the glass. Very sticky on the lips and much sweeter than I ever would have guessed. Another great beer from Wyerbacher.

bscanlon (18) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2006
bottle at mad mex. cant say enough. love this one. best weyerbacher to date. a superior beer. .

roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2006
Purchased from 3 sons in wexford. Poured a nice thick orange amber color with a thin layer of consistent white head. Aroma was citric and slightly bitter, essence of grapefruits and lemon. Flavor was strong dry malt character with harsh piney undertones and bitter hop finish. Overall, pretty enjoyable.

AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 14, 2006
Pours a dark amber with about two inches of frothy head. Smells of course of simcoe hops and some piney smells are there as well. Beautiful lacing sticks to the entire interior of the glass. Taste is refreshing and not overly bitter. The alcohol is nowhere to be found, but can be felt. This has a creamy mouthfeel that leaves a very hoppy aftertaste. At 9%, it’s not a highly sessionable beer, but it tastes so good that you can’t put it down. Very happy that Weyerbacher recently announced that this will be a year round offering. This will be a regular staple in my fridge. Highly recommend.