overall
RATINGS: 1631   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Fast on the heels of our fantasticly reformulated Hops Infusion, our brewers have picked up the gauntlet and brewed a Double IPA using exclusively Simcoe(R) Hops! This west coast Hops was created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc. and carries a fantastic flavor profile abounding with citrusy-grapefruit, piney, resiny notes that pushes this Double IPA over the top. 9.0% ABV in the brew gives it a nice malt foundation as well. Draft and bottles, 12 oz. in PA, 22 oz. out of state (as we have no 6-packs),

greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUL 28, 2006
22 oz bottle trade from Jah Noth, thanks! Pours a clear amber with large bubbles and a creamy head. Of course, tons of lacing left behind. Aroma hits hard of carmel notes and citrus simcoe hops. It has a medium to light mouthfeel and goes down extremely smooth with little notice of the high ABV. I was expecting a longer bitterness linger with this Double IPA, something seems to be missing. Don’t misunderstand me, this is a damn good beer.

JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 27, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2007 MMMMMMM! This is a real treat. Found a 22 oz. in Jersey after cursing myself for not picking up a case when I had the chance. What an IPA! Wonderfully sweet-piney aroma. great hoppy taste up front, full and chewy, with a wonderful finish. Using simcoe as a solo-hop is a great move. My only hope is that they start making this one more often!

ukoolaid (580) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 25, 2006
22oz Bottle. Pours amber and hazy with big creamy white head. Aroma is pine, citrus, and hops. This is nicely smooth with a good amount of citrus. A little bready and malty. Good tasty hop kick. Maybe I’m getting jaded by all the great double IPAs out there, but I don’t see anything remarkable here. It’s a damn good beer, but I feel like I’ve had it before. The Yulesmith is still #1

RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 24, 2006
HOPS!! Like grapefruit and weed. I don’t totally love the flavor, but you can’t argue that it is not powerful.

Terminus (3683) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 24, 2006
bottle-deep orange with a foamy off-white head. nose is big citric hops-lots of light floral citrus. some fussel notes in there as well-passionfruit, mangos. flavors are very soft in the bitterness category-mostly a citric-based IIPA with some candy-like malt profile. I dunno-the alcohol is there but not as offensive as other weyerbacher offerings. light finish of lingering passionfruit. lots of residual sweetness and not enough dryness. i dunno-simcoe hops seem weak for IIPA’s in bittering. I like the hop flavor, but there needs to be other hops added to bitter and dry things out.

3fourths (9345) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 23, 2006
Bottle. Nose is starchy, dry, arid, spicy hops. Flavor is somewhat caustic, coarse, fruity, sticky, thick, sweet and fuesal (just slightly). Rich, fizzy, pretty good overall. Almost has some saison qualities.

thebaldwizard (1207) - Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2006
A nice double. The citrusy simcoe hops hit you in the nose and the taste right away. The 9% is masked very well, and the mouthfeel is very nice. Perhaps a bit more malt would help, but it is really close to having that perfect balance.

blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUL 19, 2006
RBSG06: A real eye opener. Really hoppy. Everything you expect when you hear IIPA. Which is why I’m not impressed. No real balance and I don;t like hops that much.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 18, 2006
another great double ipa. i really enjoyed this one. first beer i’ve had from weyerbacher that has been noticeably better than average. great balance. will def buy again.

omhper (25117) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JUL 18, 2006
[Bottled at Olivert Twist, Stockholm] Hazy reddish brown, lasting creamy head. Powerful aroma of sweaty grapefruits and lingonberry. Fairly sweet with lots of malt and reasonably soft mouthfeel. Though hop dominated alcohol plays a significant part - lingonberries are strikingly evident. Very bitter finish with plenty of salty licorice and tar. A good one.