overall
RATINGS: 1228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
This is an incredibly intriguing ale is made by aging our Old Heathen Imperial Stout in oak barrels that were used for making fine Kentucky bourbon! The result is an extraordinary, dark, and mysterious stout whose very essence has been enhanced. The aroma is filled with vanilla, cocoa, and roasted coffee beans. This silky-smooth brew has notes of oak, whiskey, roasted barley and vanilla that meld together on the tongue to create an incredible sensation. Heresy is released in February.

JFURYCAT (1078) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 22, 2005
This beer made me totally rethink what Weyerbacher was about and turned me back onto the brewery. It has a strong aroma that is almost biting and it shoots right up my nose. I detected a berry-laden finish and the beer was definately sparking bourbon tones at me. Weyerbacher loves to combine roasty-flavored malts and what works for me with this one is the Oak barrels (note tjis rating is significantly higher than the one I give Old Heathen).

Nejhleader (1574) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 19, 2005
Dark, strong, long lasting taste. Tried it from the H-burg brewer fest. pretty good beer.

GonZoBeeR (3061) - ste-catherine, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 19, 2005
Aroma:Chocolate,vanilla,chocolate ice cream..... Appearance:Dark very good head... Flavor:Oak,chocolate,small sour flavor,vanilla...

GoldenSpunky (120) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2005
Hearty aroma with hints of caramel, coffee, hazel nut, pecan, and other various forrest nuts and brush. All the forrest flavors are complimented by the overtones of chocolate flavor. Pours thick and black with cloudy and medium tan head. Very sweet with smooth chocolate taste that belnds well with the other subtle flavors. Full creamy body with long finish. This is a damn good imperial!

asheft (3108) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 11, 2005
[big bottle] Pours a beautiful totally black jet with a two-tone mocha and light brown head that climbs up the sides of the glass. Very strong butterscotch in the aroma that I first thought was diacetyl, but now realize that it may be from the oak cask aging. Still, this aroma dominates the smell and barely lets through any of the creamy roasted malt or chocolate notes. The flavour is likewise dominated by a chardonnay butterscotch that mixes with lots of residual sugars and roast to make a tangy sweet mess that I didn’t really like, especially in combination with the obvious alcoholic flavour. Some redeeming qualities in the mocha and vanilla that come out after you get past the primary unpleasantries. I’ll probably finish this bottle. Medium to low bitterness that does not balance with the sweetness. Chewy, fullish body and low carbonation. Warming and perhaps a little mouth puckering from the tangy qualities. I’ll say it again: high gravity stouts are overrated on Ratebeer.

Homebrewerguy (306) - Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 10, 2005
Vhat! To put a Rassian Stout in Bourbon barrels ist Heresy! Ya, zo hense zhe name. Vell, I prefer mein Stout uncontaminated mit zhe whiskies. It vas ein unigue...,younique....,unike....,unusual flavor zhough. Ein specialty bier to be sure.
Earlier Rating: 6/5/2005 Total Score: 4.1
This is a nice IRS for body and balance but the flavor was tweaked too much on the bourbon side which defeats the purpose of drinking an Imperial stout. However, it is still a great novelty beer to impress your friends who like non traditional beer.

Boutip (6483) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 2, 2005
Bottle (courtesy of Hopdog): Poured a pitch-black color ale with a huge dark brown head with average retention. Aroma is overpowered by whisky with small traces of vanilla that are still discernable. Taste is also overpowered by the whisky aging and leaves little place to the rest of the beer. I couldn’t find any chocolate/coffee taste that I usually like from Imperial Stout. Also, the warming alcohol feel really doesn’t do it for me. Full body and rally good carbonation, which is bit surprising from an Imperial Stout. Too bad I didn’t like that one and I probably should have started by the Old Heathen.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 30, 2005
Dark brown/black pour. frothy dark tan head that immediately dissipates into nothing. Roasted chocolate grapes vanilla bourbon aroma.Taste, kind of thin for the aroma. Big roasty vanilla, some slight bourbon notes. As it warms, bourbon and overall flavor becomes more pronounced. The bourbon seems to overtake this beer after a while, but to me its still got decent balance. This is pretty good stuff. But I should have drank Old Heathen first... would be a good comparison.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 24, 2005
22oz bomber - Pours black as night with and thick. A nice 3/8 inch tan milkshake-like head clings to the side of the glass. Oak wood and bourbon can be detected in the aroma and a faint vanilla aroma also touched my nose. Flavor is complex... Some wood, smoke, bourbon, roasted malts, a touch of vanilla and even some fruits can all be tasted. Overall it is quite a roasy flavor that blends well with the creamy palate. On the palate is is fairly thick and coats your mouth like a milkshake. Finishes a little dry but a very tasty and delicious stout. Not as sweet as other imperials that I’ve had and it actually finishes with some sort of sour flavor. But it certainly doesn’t lack in taste. I enjoyed this one!

DarkElf (3066) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAY 22, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2005 (22 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with Eyedrinkale, thanks Mike!) Okay, so I’m a sucker for bourbon barrel aged beers. I love the aroma and I love the flavor of these beers, and this one is no exception. Oddly enough, I don’t like bourbon. But anyway, the nose features those classic oak and whiskey aromas that I can just sit and sniff all day long. Behind this is a moderate sweetness, and also a relatively gentle roastiness that you just don’t notice unless you try. Moving onto the flavor, first I must admit, while I liked the Old Heathen, I found it a bit too dry for my tastes, and so, it shouldn’t be a surprise that I would prefer Heresy to be less dry as well. And especially for an oak-aged stout, I just have this thing where sweeter stouts just seem to work better for me with oak aging. So while I like the flavor of this beer a lot, I think it would be better if the base (Old Heathen) was sweeter. No question that Heresy is sweeter than the very dry Old Heathen, but Heresy is still pretty dry in the finish too. Moderately roasty and bitter, but lacking the smokiness in the finish. Overall, I think the flavor is more balanced, less one-dimensional, more enjoyable. Medium "plus" body, a bit smoother on the palate than Old Heathen. Same color as Old Heathen, very dark brown, but not quite black. Dark tan head seems a bit lighter in color than with Old Heathen, and certainly pours smaller and fades faster. Oak aging makes Heresy my favorite Imperial Stout from Weyerbacher, but none of them are world class. Very good stuff, but there’s definite room for improvement.