overall
RATINGS: 999   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 279   ABV: 9.3%
Formerly Weyerbacher Belgian Triple.
At Weyerbacher we've recreated a Belgian Trippel without limitation. We use premium Pilsener malts, candi-sugar, and yeast strains- all imported from Belgium. To be true to the style, our Trippel is bottle conditioned. This means we add a bit of candi-sugar and yeast just prior to bottling. This imparts a special effervescence to the beer, a creamier carbonation, and also extends the shelf life. The on-going fermentation inside the bottle will change the character of the beer as it ages, and you'll find it becomes dryer with age. You may want to lay down a few bottles for future evaluation. We suggest storing at cellar temperatures -around 55 degrees F- and away from light.

JFGrind (2073) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Merry Monk is a good looking cloudy, golden ale. Initial aroma is sour and the tartness is evident throughout sampling this beer. Not a bad beer, but not a good triple.

BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Poured a cloudy honey color with a thick white head of foam that settles down to a thin layer. Yeast is prominent in the aroma along with clove and a slight citrus. Creamy mouthfeel that is very effervescent and crisp which is true to the style. Alcohol is well hidden in this ale which is always a good thing. Flavor is very wheat malt like. Almost a cross between a Wit and a Tripel. Pleasant none the less. Overall a really well made Tripel and one I'd drink again if given the chance.

Sturgess (173) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 19, 2004
This was the worst out out of the big beer sampler..but I'm not a big fan of golden ale's in general...good % though

ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 19, 2004
Cidery sour aroma. Taste is like a ligher lambic, appley, lightly sour, moderately dry with hints of lemon and finishes lightly bitter.

verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2004
First review on RB:
At the pour, I was intimidated by the strong alcoholic aroma and the excessive "junk" at the bottom of the bottle. I soon realized these both contributed to a full, round, satisfying flavor. There is a bit of banana that came through that I could live without. But the sugar I found pleasing. Very good stuff. I look forward to trying the other bottle I purchased in a few months.

Ernest (7861) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 6, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2005 Head is initially average sized, frothy, white, fully lasting. Body is hazy dark yellow, bottle conditioned. Aroma is lightly yeasty (cobwebs), lightly hoppy (flowers, herbs), moderately malty (cookie, cereal), with notes of apple, banana, and alcohol. Flavor is heavily sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, velvety texture, lively carbonation, lightly alcoholic. Odd how different an impression this makes from my first experience. Smells like they used corn in this instead of candy sugar, quite frankly. Almost smells like a malt liquor, and that just ain’t right. Too sweet. Not a fan anymore, and no, this isn’t really a tripel.

rabuc (143) - carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 5, 2004
poured cloudy amber brown with tan head. tasted of a rich, fruity, yeasty sweet but not to sweet malt flavor. finished dry and slightly hoppy. i like this beer but want to taste other triples to compare.

Frank (4240) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Slightly cloudy golden with no head. Mildly sweet nose with hints of citrus and banana. A tart bite up front is followed by candi sugar sweetness. Very fruity--apple, grape, pear--and a bit more of a citric hop bite than I'd normally expect for the style. Slightly sticky but not too heavy with slightly biting carbonation. A bit of alcohol dryness comes out in the finish. Definitely a solid Tripel.

axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2005 Kind of a sweet and sour nose with hints of apricot. Not the most enticing brew to look at. To be honest, I really didn’t like it the first time I had it, but It’s growing on me. Not quite my favorite Belgian, but not horrible.

Hopistotle420 (1177) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 20, 2004
Slightly hazy, pale golden tangerine. Fruity, alcohol tinged nose. Small thin head, only lasting along walls of the glass. Sweet, honey, pear, apricot, orange, finishing dry and vinous. I didnt like it at first, but after slow sipping, and letting it warm, I do enjoy this tastey tripel. Pleasantly satisfying. I am curious how this will taste with age...