overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1379   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb.

haddon90 (1634) - Newport Beach, California, USA - AUG 22, 2003
I've had several German Wheats this summer. However, I wasn't too impressed with this. Cloudy yellow with a white head, strong wheat flavor. But even the lemon couldn't save this one.

snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Well, I've been fairly impressed with the German wheats I've had, so I gave this one a go. Hazy yellow on the pour, forgettable aroma and flavor. I'll have to keep looking, I guess.

ClarkVV (6962) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 16, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2005 Wow finally another decent american wheat to taste. Bell’s Oberon is one of my favorite beers so I was excited to try this. Great presentation. Pours perfect white head and is a nice beige-walnut-yellowish orange (how’s that for a color). Great cloudiness. Smells slightly sour with a ever so slight smell of lemon. Begins very yeasty! that was great. Lots of wheat flavor and the sour yeast flavor does not give up. This beer does not change much in taste from beginning to end. There is a slight bittersweet malt flavor but very dry and minimal. Still, I cant get enough of that yeast. Unfortunately, that and the wheat flavor are all you really get from this. Oberon presents wonderful fruity flavors, alcohol warmth and nice malt character while still having the nice yeast flavor(though Widmer’s yeast flavor gets old after 3 beers). Anyways, a good beer, but just not enough complexity.

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 16, 2003
I realize this is in the American Wheat category, but I really wanted this to taste like a German wheat. All the pieces where there, the cloudy appearance, the banana and yeast nose, but just in too small quantities for me. Also, it seemed a tad bitter for a hefeweizen. A drinkable beer, but a little light for my tastes. Like Trappist said, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

hopscotch (11439) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Murky, deep golden beer. Small, creamy white head with decent lacing. Banana and yeast in the nose along with a touch of smoke. The flavor is of grapefruit and orange blossom honey. Astringent and lightly bitter. Light-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and lively carbonation. Lengthy, dry finish with a touch of pungency.

Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 11, 2003
Chewy. cloudy yellow beer, with a thin white head. Somewhat bitter and yeasty. Not as good as what I was thinking it was going to be. A good beer but I know better American Wheats.

papajohn (1250) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - AUG 10, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2007 Hazy mango color with a small white head. Nose has a hint of lemon. Flavor is lightly sweet with citrus with some yeasty spice and a light citrus hop bite.

kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - AUG 1, 2003
Blah blah blah. Nothing special here. Typical hefe in appearance. Cloudy, small white head. Light hopps, dry, medium bodied and crisp. In my opinio there aree much better hefe out there.

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 21, 2004 Draught beer. Murky, completely opaque, and the color of peach sherbert. If you dropped your keys in one of these, they would completely disappear. Thin head. Aroma of lemon and yeast. Nice flavor of malt, grain, and citrus fruit with a non-hop bitter bite in the finish. Chewy mouthfeel. This beer is bold, ugly and perhaps even unsettling but decent nevertheless.

SDbruboy (1863) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 27, 2003
Bottle. Poured hazy golden-orange color with a small white head. Looks right for a hef. Aroma smelled more like a typical lager with a little lemon added to me. It seemed to be missing those luscious pineapple, banana and tropical fruit notes of the German brews of this style. Flavor was nice though, Sweet with a little tartness, wheat notes and mild floral hops with a fruity finish. Medium body and moderate carbonation. All in all a good summer beer.