overall
RATINGS: 123   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Limited Release #4. Spring 2011. Ale brew with huskless malt and Belgian candy sugar. Galaxy Hopped Barleywine is a new take on an old favorite. This beer pours a dark crimson, almost mahogany color. The yeast & galaxy hops deliver a big bang of red and yellow fruit aromatics like banana, pineapple, cherry, and strawberry. The experience begins with a taste of toffee and darkened sweet caramel overlaid on subtle tones of vanilla. All to be punctuated by the floral and citrus dry hop character.

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - APR 16, 2011
Bottle:   Heavy ruby, also copperish, large frothy light beige head, spotty lacing.   Why on earth would I get this aroma... I tied flies as a kid and I used this clear glue/cement to harden the head of the fly.   Yep, thats what I get on the nose, cement and glue.   It totally smells like model airplane glue/fly tying cement!   I suppose thats the alcohol.   Otherwise its somewhat of a brash alcohol and hop mixture.   Pretty much tastes like a malty alcoholic beverage.   Hops are minor, sweetness is rather dull.   Nope, they didn’t hit it out of the park on this one either.   WTF are these galaxy hops anyway?   Are the hops supposed to taste like alcohol?   I am really surprised by this one.   I was expecting so much more, but holy f*cking sh!t, this is a trainwreck.   Butte Creek Train Wreck, as a sh*tty as it is, is much better than this.   God damnit Rob and Kurt, I was expecting more of a balanced Barley Wine, but this stuff is just harsh!   Its not overly malty, not overly hoppy, its overly caustic and alcoholic.   Maybe over time it will turn into paint thinner, which is pretty useful.   This stuff... damnit, I need something to rinse my mouth out after this stuff.

Title_10 (22) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 17, 2011
Pours a deep mahogany color with a rapidly fading tan head. Excellent aroma of not sure what, maybe vanilla? The very fist taste was pretty damn good, after that, it became so strong I thought I was drinking scotch. But, this is my first my barley wine so what can I (you) expect. I can now say I’m not a fan of barley wine.

Ernest (7792) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAY 18, 2011
Bottle. Head is initially small, frothy, light brown, mostly diminishing. Body is medium to dark amber. Aroma is moderately malty (caramel, cookie), lightly to moderately hoppy (grapefruit), moderately yeasty (dough), with notes of dried mango, dirt. Flavor is heavily sweet, moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is moderately sweet, moderately acidic, moderately bitter, unclean. Medium to full body, syrupy texture, lively carbonation, moderately alcoholic. Simple and dirty/clunky.