overall
RATINGS: 179   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Our braggot is a strong ale brewed with a blend of honey, red prickly pear juice, and a variety of pale malts. The addition of Alchemy hops help balance the sweetness while still retaining the natural honey aromas and flavors. The prickly pear juice adds a unique hue to the beer as well as a subtle herbal, quenching-like quality in the finish.

smooch (238) - Sylvania, Ohio, USA - APR 20, 2010
I’ve been looking for this for a month in my home area of Toledo. Fortunately I found it out here on the east coast. Pours a nice slightly orangish pilsner color and clear look. I thought I smelled something nice and sweet, but somehow it got lost in the shuffle after tasting it. The taste is ok, but not great.

badlizard (5533) - Berkeley, California, USA - APR 18, 2010
Clear golden with a fizzy white head. Sweet spicy cinnamon and honey aroma and taste with a floral herbal finish

SSSteve (4006) - - APR 17, 2010
22oz bottle. a clear gold under a small, quickly diminishing, frothy white head. no carbonation bubbles. soft fruity, pear juice aroma with hints of booze. flavor is quite astringent. notes of alcoholic apple juice. body is very light but mouthfeel is sticky. pear juice kind of adds a nice sweetness to this to combat the abv. honey doesn’t really make much of an impression though. i really liked the cherry doppelbock. this one..not so much. i will, however, be completely shit faced when i finish this tonight! thanks widmer!

Cletus (6368) - Connecticut, USA - APR 16, 2010
Pours gold with no head to speak of and sparse corbonation. Smells of booze and some overripe fruit. Tastes cloyingly sweet with cough syrup and some fruity essence that gets overwhelmed by the alcohol on this one. I usually like Widmer’s experiments, but this one just doesn’t work.

NickVega (154) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - APR 10, 2010
Is there a slight bourbony flavor in there? Hmmm. I like this but it’s not going to float my boat to China - it’s a nice interlude though. Nice malty honey peary thing going on -- flavor a bit on the light-side for me... easy drinking.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - APR 10, 2010
Ok, so this is classified as a mead...excellent! I don’t enjoy mead, usually. The lack of carbonation, and the stinging alcohol are just too much. Purchased this ma’fucka at Green’s on Ponce De Leon. I was able to produce a sufficient amount of head that lasted for, oh, a few seconds. Now, I have a wispy head sitting on top of a transparent brew. This has a orange/gold appearance to it. I am in no way fit for properly rating mead, so don’t give me shit on this one. I am definitely smelling the alcohol. The honey and pear aromas are hitting my nostrils, and working quite well together, I must say. The aroma doesn’t have much depth to it. Wow, this flavor is boring. Slight alcohol taste that is warming my mouth as I continue to drink. Slight sweet honey and pear flavor are there as well, but nothing really develops. This mead is a boozy mess as the alcohol just dominates this beer. The texture is nice. It has a nice syrupy texture. Overall, this beer is lame. Doesn’t have a lot of depth to it. I am going to finish this considering it was $6.99 (before-tax price) for a 22 oz. bottle. The cherry dopplebock they had before was spot-on, if you ask me. I appreciate their effort to brew seasonal brews, but this attempt falls flat.

ditmier (1508) - Boise, Idaho, USA - APR 9, 2010
2010 Bottle - Well the one thing I can say about Widmer is that they are consistent...Pours clear gold with a small off white head...aroma is fairly faint, sweet corn, lightly fruity, grain and slightly floral...flavour is like extra sweet malt liquor, I get the prickly pear on the finish, but the only thing I take away from this bottle is high gravity malt liquor with the slightest cactus pear influence, like someone in the basement was mixing Steel Reserve with odd syrups to make it more palatable...

scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - APR 9, 2010
Aroma began as a bit earthy as tough rind but in a short time burst out with juicy pear and warm nectar. Bright gold with very low carbonation. Erratic in body, cloyingly sweet, soapy middle, I’m trying to approach it as a mead but I still don’t dig it.

zach8270 (4021) - Henrietta, New York, USA - APR 8, 2010
(bottle - 22 oz) Cloudy golden color with a fizzy head. Aroma is sweet and herbal with a nice hint of the pears at the end. Honey comes through more at the finish. Flavor is sweet... very sweet. You can taste the tartness of the pears and then a lot of honey. Very dry and cloying. A little too sweet for my taste.