overall
RATINGS: 96   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A red ale with a malty mouthfeel that finishes with a hop kick. Our flagship session beer at 5% ABV.

1.2
obguthr (6349) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - MAY 20, 2009
No aroma save for that of wet dog which is attributable more to the dirty glass than the beer. Cloudy rust colored, no head. Metallic and dirty tasting. The metal taste continues long after drinking. Looks and tastes rusty, hand to God. Very peculiar and not at all my cup of tea(or mug of beer). I’m very disappointed, because I actually like this brewer’s other offerings.

seadad (12) - , Virginia, USA - APR 25, 2009
Good overall beer. Head dissolves quickly, leaving decent lacing. Dark red to brown in color, fairly light body. Oranges and spices in the aroma. Finishes with a nice hop kick. I usually drink this with salmon or grilled tuna. It has the strength of flavor to stand up to the fish, without being so heavy that you block the taste of what you cooked.

Braudog (6712) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - FEB 17, 2009
Bottle. Rust-colored beer that didn’t give me much of a head. It drinks with a strong quotient of robust caramel malt, but then it disolves into a really tart, tangy finish. (#3509, 2/17/2009)

Foxbush (2028) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 8, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 2, 2011 The Red marker ale was another ale purchased form the Alwerks store in Williamsburg Virginia. The owner recommended the RED Ale. It is a good all around ale. It has more hops than other reds. The deep red color and modest head complimented the ale. It was somewhat thin and sweet. It had a smooth finish with some bitterness on the upper parts of the mouth. In November 2011 I stopped by the retail store to try some new products and picked up the American Rover. Ratebeer claims this is Red Marker. It pours a clear amber ale. The bitter hops are picked at the nose and to taste. There is lacing down the glass. I will check with the brewer to be sure I have this correct. The medium body ale had average carbonation.

brewski519 (644) - Morrisville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 2, 2009
Pours a reddish amber with a very thin head. Aroma of sour fruit, malt and bread. Taste was a bit sour as well but not as much as the aroma would lead one to believe but as with other AleWerks brews I picked up the aftertaste of soap again... what is up with that?

Barrios (1243) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 2, 2009
Bottle from Butters. Ruby color when the light goes through it. Sweet nose like bubblegum or blueberries. Caramel, sweet fruit like fig flavor with medium finish. I like the looks of it.

nearbeer (5415) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 26, 2008
12 oz, thanks Butters. Clear chestnut with ruby highlights. Small lasting disc of creamy bubbles leaves some spotty lace. Smells of caramel, lightly tart berries and chocolate. Front taste is a nice blend of the same, except stronger and has some metallic hop notes. Finishes with a little more roasty cocoa and woody hops. Medium body is just watery and tingly enough to wipe away the malt, and keeps finishing more tart and drier. Unique brew that seems nearer to a Belgian, Brown, or some of the better Altbiers I have sampled than any Amber.

Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 9, 2008
Via trade. I forget from who but will update this once I have it all straightened out. The pour was brown with ruby. An ample off-white head slowly faded and produced decent lacing. The aroma was malt, spice, citrus and pine hops. The flavor was tart citrus, earthy, piney hops, roasted malt and sweeter caramel. The mouthfeel was average with a fairly tight finish. Not bad actually, a different take on an amber ale to be sure.

beachbum25 (1092) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2008
12 oz Bottle-Dark, murky, mahogany color w/a slight tan head & good carbonation. Sweet, malty aroma. Strong malt flavor up front, traces of figs, dark fruit, raisins, & sour cherries. Wasn’t really what I was expecting in an Amber Ale; was more like a fruit beer. Reminded me of a watered down version of the Lost Abbey Judgment day I had just before it. Not bad, but I wouldn’t seek it out, could really use more Malt/Rye & less fruit. Long, sour finish.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 19, 2008
Bottle courtesy of dkachur. Pours brownish red with a white head. Smells of light spice, dough, caramel. Tastes spicy and sweet with some nice peppery splashes and a full mouthfeel.