overall
RATINGS: 82   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Black River Falls is in the heart of cranberry country, and this fall seasonal is a German ale brewed with real Wisconsin cranberries. Not your typical, sweet fruit beer, our Cranberry Special is well balanced with a refreshing tart finish.

JK (6095) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - SEP 12, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2005 Red. Too much sugar, little fruit in the aroma or the flavor. Heavy but not in a good way. I like fruit beers but this one doesnít do anything for me.

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - SEP 12, 2004
On tap,ABR.Well I do not reaaly like fruit beers but I took a sniff of someone elseís I decided to try this.the cranberry nose is pleasant.The taste is definitely cranberry and noy much else.Imean this is to sweet for me.I could drink one and one only.

jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 24, 2004
The second worst beer I have ever had. Poured a clear fizzy color with a slightly red tint. The aroma is very stale. The flavor has some cranberry flavor and what cranberry flavor it does offer is tastes slightly like vomit. The first beer I ever poured out. The only distinguishable flavors in this beer are flavors that were better left untasted. Don't waste your time or even worse anyone else's time by serving this atrocity this holiday season, stick to egg nog.

TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 3, 2004
INteresting tasting brew. Not as good as the homebrew Cranberry wine from this year, but an interesting beer nonetheless.

JPDIPSO (6216) - Wauwatosa, USA - DEC 16, 2003
Amber color with a smaller cream colored head. Hint of malt and really boring nose. Mild and caramel malt mix nicely with a light acidic cranbery backdrop. Really quite simple. Des not seem as strong in the cranberry department as in past years.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 15, 2003
Disappointing. Hoped for a nice brew with cranberry hints. Not the case. The look was okay with an amber body under a white head. The aroma was almost non-existent. No real cranberry sensation. The flavor was blah. A beer without anything going for it.

hotstuff (5143) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - NOV 27, 2003
Not to my liking at all, but then again, I'm not a fan of fruit beers. This beer poured a small sized white head with fine-small sized bubbles that quickly dissipated. The body was uncarbonated, cloudy with an orange hue. The nose was malty and a slight cranberry aroma. The flavor was acidic with some cranberry flavoring to it with a tingly, watery, thin palate. This beer was light bodied with no lacing.

thedm (6147) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - NOV 26, 2003
This brew poured a small head of fine to medium sized mostly diminishing white colored bubbles that left behind a fair laceing and a hazy softly carbonated yeast floaty light orange brown colored body. The aroma was mild with notes of fruit and yeast. The mouthfeel was tingly mildly acidic and a little on the bitter side. The flavor was mostly of mild cranberry and sweet malt. Not as bad as I had anticipated and rather pleasant on top of the other brews I have had this evening.

DrnkMcDermott (3097) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 17, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2004 Bottled. Not too great. Thin head atop a light coppery body with just a touch of pink too it. Base malts are pleasant, but without much character to them. Cranberry flavor is a little slight and leaves a saccharine aftertaste. A stronger hop presence would be interesting. I hope these guys keep working on it. Re-rate: Guess I was a little under the weather when I tried my first bottle, as the second one comes across much smoother. Cranberry taste is more noticeable this time, but not overpowering, and surprisingly, not cranberry bitter. I shared this at my homebrew club tasting and yes, the wives enjoyed it (but these are beer-drinking wives who also homebrew, not wine cooler wives. They also dig my chile beers).

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 11, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2003 Light copper color, thin white head diminishes quickly. Minimal aroma, slightly malty. As for the taste... It tastes like sugar-water with a splash of cranberry juice. It starts with a wishy-washy malt and finishes with some weak hops, but there's not much to this stuff. If I ever get brave enough to open up the next bottle in my six-pack and it's better than this one, I'll re-rate.