overall
RATINGS: 80   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Black River Falls is in the heart of cranberry country, and this fall seasonal is a German ale brewed with real Wisconsin cranberries. Not your typical, sweet fruit beer, our Cranberry Special is well balanced with a refreshing tart finish.

saravn (8) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 28, 2009 does not count
First tasted this at Sud’s Club Fruit Beer Night. Had it again at MHC’s Ales, Pales, Sticks & Stouts tasting and took home the left overs. It’s a good fall beer, not too sweet, not too sour. Very tasty.

nuplastikk (6420) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 22, 2009
12oz bottle. Hazy orange tan color. Tart cranberry taste, quite nice and refreshing. Relatively light bodied, but still packs a punch flavor-wise. Crisply effervescent. Lemony tang at first fades into a cherry like finish, or cranberry as it were. This is a really great beer, vastly underrated.

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - NOV 30, 2006
12 oz bottle. Clear copper color with bubbly off white head that dissipated quickly. Attractive fruity malt aroma; the cranberry mingles nicely with the brown sugary malt and there is a whiff of rose hips. Sweet malty caramel flavor throughout which is balanced beautifully with subtle tart cranberry and toffee undertones. This is a pretty good beer.

Mittenator (1612) - Michigan, USA - JAN 4, 2015
Bottle. Amber with a beige head. Fermented cranberry and hay. Tart enough to keep the artificial sweet at bay with a heavy cereal finish.

crossovert (13747) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 3, 2013
Orange with a slight rosy hue. Smell is cranberry and waxiness, very similiar ot ng fruit beers. The flavor is tart, good cranberry, flaovr, light malt backing, light and refreshing. Not bad.

Jamesonpatz (32) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JAN 13, 2015
Poured from a 12oz bottle bottle into a tulip glass. A - Brew pours a dark Amber with a medium-bodied off-white head. A - I smell semi-sweet cranberries and straw. T - The attack of the sip brings a small amount of tartness, but the moment I gulp is when the full puckering effect sets in. This is followed by a taste subtle cranberry sweetness that continues through the finish. Brew has plenty of cranberry flavor, but is not overwhelmingly sweet or tart. Very well-balanced and refreshing. P - Beer is well-carbonated. The opening bite of carbonation and tartness work in harmony, grabbing your attention right at the start of the sip. I do wish the beer had a bit more thickness to it. Was too light-bodied despite having a lot of flavor. O - I picked this beer up on a whim when in visited my home state of WI for Christmas (I’ve been living in Memphis, TN for the last 5 years). I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the brew. The Brewers were faithful to the true flavor of tart WI cranberries. I’ve tasted too many disappointing fruit ales that were packed with sugar. This beer was well-balanced, tart, a tinge sweet, and refreshing. I definitely recommend this if you like fruit beers and especially if you like cranberries! "Never turn your back on your beer."
Earlier Rating: 1/13/2015 Total Score: 3.5

prosqtor (408) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 7, 2007
This wasn’t bad...not sure what others were expecting. Cranberries are a big, tart and sweet flavor, and this beer encompasses all of those. I like it, and it makes me think of camping in the fall, with a flannel on and a campfire going.

Lemke10 (993) - Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 24, 2013
Proudly claims on the front of the bottle "made with real Wisconsin cranberry juice." Pours a reddish brown color with a thin head. Scent is mostly that of cranberries and earthy grains. The cranberry flavor is quite evident in its flavor. It is nicely complimented by the malts and wheat used as well. Taste finishes a little tart and dry. The taste is better than average but I can also see people saying this beer is too fruity for them. I like the taste but I find the texture to be a little to thin where more carbonation is needed. A nice fall season beer from Wisconsin cranberries. Fall doesn’t get much better in Wisconsin!

KillerMoran (25) - - APR 17, 2014
Honestly this smell is amazing!!! The taste, another story. If you are looking for a strong cranberry taste and no beer, this is what you want. Very sweet/tart finish! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

gws57 (1276) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Had this bottled. Nose of cranberry and citrus, thin head, golden amber color. Tastes tart, finishes slightly hoppy but sweet. Couldn’t have many of these but a good onesie.