Wrecking Bar Zafra Rum Russian Imperial Stout

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 396   ABV: 13.2%
We have four different Russian Imperial Stouts.† (1) Our base batch #3 at 12.5%.† (2) Batch #3 aged in Zafra 21 year old rum barrel.† (3) Batch #3 aged in Four Roses bourbon barrel.† (4) Batch #3 aged in Collier & McKeel TN Whiskey barrel.† All of the barrel aged versions went from 12.5% to 13.2% and I think the body is absolutely perfect on these.† Enough of the sweetness fermented, evaporated, or wherever it went and the residual sweetness doesnít get in the way of the barrel qualities.

Most RecentTicked By

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EricTeusink (700) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - APR 26, 2013
It is probably unfair to this beer that I tasted it a the same sitting in which I tried Wrecking Barís amazing Hop Noggin IIPA. As I had tried a previous iteration of the barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout series, I was excited to give this brew a try. This beer was very sweet. Smelled and tasted of molasses, maple syrup, and sugar cane. Poured a very dark brown with a lighter colored head than expected. I preferred the Four Roses aged version, but this was still a very good beer. Draft - Wrecking Bar Brewpub - Atlanta, GA