overall
Brewed by Würzburger Hofbräu (Schörghuber)
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
Würzburg, Germany
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 37   MEAN: 3.35/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Festbier, as the name implies, is brewed especially for celebratory occasions, e.g. the Würzburger Kiliani Volksfest / public fun fair /. However, as there is always plenty to celebrate, bottled Würzburger Hofbräu Festbier, the original wort content of which must be over 13%, is naturally available throughout the year.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
johndoughty (5176) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - DEC 31, 2003
Quite light for a festbier and not so well balanced as I expected.Pleasant but blander than most beers of this type.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JUL 13, 2003
Bottled. We cut our teeth on this last night as well. Pleasantly refreshing, lightly hopped aroma with interest. I’d be tell porky’s if I said I noted more than that.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Creul (3) - USA - JUN 20, 2003 does not count
Very Good ... Had it once can't wait to have it again..... As Yamamoto said very nice copper color

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rauchbier (3831) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - MAR 13, 2003
Bottled. Amber gold, good white fluffy head and moderate condition. Caramel and crystal malt aromas, understated but balanced toffee and noble hop notes in the mouth and a soft malty hop bitter finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
guzzler (76) - AE, GERMANY - NOV 28, 2002
Crisp and malty. Didn’t care for it much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
groovinhigh (170) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 1, 2002
Light for on Oktoberfest, but a nice alternative to the standard. Crisp, and very Pilsner like. I would probably rate this higher if it was classified as a Pilsner.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Suttree (6194) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Much lighter than what I normally expect from an Oktoberfest - almost looks like a pilsener. Pretty tasty, seems to be a little maltier than a regular lager.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
argo0 (13581) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 2, 2002
Not sure what makes this one an Oktoberfest. Looks and smells just like an everyday lager. Clear light yellow body with a big white head. Aroma is Germanic hop heavy. Flavor is crisp and clean, with medium German bitterness tempered by mild maltiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 16, 2002
I had this a while ago; very caramelly, not what I expected from Germany, but good anyway. Nice copper color.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
NJBeerman013 (1054) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - DEC 18, 2001
This has got to be one of my favorite beers so far. I got a bottle in a ’tour of the world’ sampler pack 2 or 3 weeks ago, and made a good decision at saving it for last. It has a smooth malty taste, great deep golden color. Finely crafted. I just wish it was available longer than just two months of the year. I have to agree somewhat with ESBFREAK in saying that it is stronger than I expected but its not overwhelming by any means.