overall
Brewed by Wychwood (Marston’s)
Style: Premium Bitter/ESB
Witney, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 2242   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottle and can: Pasteurised.
Ingredients: Pale, chocolate and crystal malts; English Fuggles and Styrian Goldings hops.
Hobgoblin is a powerful full-bodied copper red, well-balanced brew. Strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end.
Michael Jackson 500 Classic Brews

AcctError43480 (235) - Columbus, USA - OCT 12, 2006
Love the color of this reddish-brown ale. Sweet malty aroma with just a touch of hops. This beer has one of the most unique carbonations I have ever experienced. It can sometimes take a little getting used to, but I have never had a bad experience with it

DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - OCT 12, 2006
Pours with a brown body that sports a reddish tint and a thick light brown head. Aroma is malt and alcohol with some hops thrown in and the flavor is similar. This beer has some nice bitter notes but is a bit watery for my taste. Overall, I like the label design, the name, and the brewery so yes, I’d buy more if it were on sale but I wouldn’t go out of my way for this funky ale. PS: It did grow on me a bit once the buzz kicked in and my taste buds submited to the experience.

mreusch (858) - Olathe, Kansas, USA - OCT 11, 2006
Sweet, fruity aroma with a nice amber color. Interesting flavor although not overly complex, nice finish. An enjoyable Ale for the occassional something different, but overall a touch bland and not too exciting. This is supposed to be an ESB? If so, not at all true to others I’ve had.

VeloVampire (625) - Parkdale, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 10, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2006 500 ml bottle - pours a dark brown with a relatively thick head that fades quickly. Some hazelnut and sweet malt aromas. Taste of lightly roasted malt, and some syrupy sweetness - also a slightly astringent bitterness from the English hops. No finish to speak of. An ok example of the style, but they aren’t taking any risks here. Might be nicer in cask form, as the high carbonation (for the style) does nothing to help this beer. I like the packaging, but the beer falls a bit short. Too bad. The Heineken of the bitter bunch - interpret that as you will.

markas101 (2499) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - OCT 10, 2006
Spicy aroma, almost artificially. Dark brown colour, fairly carbonated for this style. Sweet tasting, some earthiness and caramel. Slightly bitter finish that is overpowered by the sweetness.

bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2006
A very thick, sweet sipping beer....and not really in a good way. I reminded me of bitter, sryup. Way to sweet finish - it’s just not a style I prefer, I guess

Anglofile (138) - Piti, GUAM - OCT 8, 2006
I love the labeling, like the sweet hoppy taste, and enjoy this beer altogether.

bigcat03 (336) - Columbus, Nebraska, USA - OCT 6, 2006
500ml bottle from Hy-Vee Liquors St. Joe poured into english pint - Pours dark red brown with a 2 finger beige head; Sweet malt, a hint of alcohol and a little yeast to the nose; Reminds me of a belgian strong in a weird way; A lightly bitter, malty initial taste, which is to be expected to an extent; Not a lot of hops and just the right amount of carbonation; Stale bread backtaste that doesn’t do too much for me; Overall, I’ve had better, but this is pretty decent for the style as far as I can tell. Goes down fairly smooth and doesn’t offend. Definitely improves as it warms.

savitska (163) - Smyrna, Georgia, USA - OCT 6, 2006
A really satisfying, interesting brew. I got it in the 16.9 oz/500 ml bottle like the one pictured in the profile. It had the hard water/metallic aftertaste of a Bass, but with a darker color and a sweeter, less hoppy body. This would make an excellent session beer as the taste improved as the bottle got closer to room temperature. Pleasant without being cloying.

daniel0017 (455) - Yukon, CANADA - OCT 1, 2006
Delicious, heavy malty flavor with thick rich head. Made an instant good impression. Went down smooth with less aftertaste than I was expecting due to other’s reviews. Closely resembles the sweet quality found in some porter, yet clearly not a porter. Very good beer!