overall
Brewed by Wychwood (Marston's)
Style: Premium Bitter/ESB
Witney, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 2254   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottle: Filtered.
Ingredients: Pale, chocolate and crystal malts; English Fuggles and Styrian Goldings hops.
Hobgoblin is a powerful full-bodied copper red, well-balanced brew. Strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end.
Michael Jackson 500 Classic Brews

anders37 (27577) - Malmö, SWEDEN - OCT 15, 2006
Bottle. Pours a dark amber colour with an off-white head. Malty fruity caramel aroma. Malty caramel flavor with some hints of chocolate. Malty fruity finish with some bitterness.

benpickens (544) - Camarillo, California, USA - OCT 14, 2006
Pours brown and clear with a creamy head and light carbonation. Smells earth and rooty with hints of banana. Malt dominants up front with hop dryness in the finish.

TheJester (2543) - Cavan Monaghan, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 12, 2006
500 mL brown bottle. Chestnut brown with very little head. Aroma of stewed prunes and maybe a hint of something spicy .(cinnamon?) Taste is sweet, with a bit of brown sugar. There are other flavours there as well, but are too muted by the sweetness for me to be able to pinpoint. A touch of bitterness in the finish, reminds me of apple cider. Overall, I do like this beer.

AcctError43480 (235) - Columbus, USA - OCT 12, 2006
Love the color of this reddish-brown ale. Sweet malty aroma with just a touch of hops. This beer has one of the most unique carbonations I have ever experienced. It can sometimes take a little getting used to, but I have never had a bad experience with it

DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - OCT 12, 2006
Pours with a brown body that sports a reddish tint and a thick light brown head. Aroma is malt and alcohol with some hops thrown in and the flavor is similar. This beer has some nice bitter notes but is a bit watery for my taste. Overall, I like the label design, the name, and the brewery so yes, I’d buy more if it were on sale but I wouldn’t go out of my way for this funky ale. PS: It did grow on me a bit once the buzz kicked in and my taste buds submited to the experience.

mreusch (858) - Olathe, Kansas, USA - OCT 11, 2006
Sweet, fruity aroma with a nice amber color. Interesting flavor although not overly complex, nice finish. An enjoyable Ale for the occassional something different, but overall a touch bland and not too exciting. This is supposed to be an ESB? If so, not at all true to others I’ve had.

VeloVampire (625) - Parkdale, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 10, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2006 500 ml bottle - pours a dark brown with a relatively thick head that fades quickly. Some hazelnut and sweet malt aromas. Taste of lightly roasted malt, and some syrupy sweetness - also a slightly astringent bitterness from the English hops. No finish to speak of. An ok example of the style, but they aren’t taking any risks here. Might be nicer in cask form, as the high carbonation (for the style) does nothing to help this beer. I like the packaging, but the beer falls a bit short. Too bad. The Heineken of the bitter bunch - interpret that as you will.

markas101 (2529) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - OCT 10, 2006
Spicy aroma, almost artificially. Dark brown colour, fairly carbonated for this style. Sweet tasting, some earthiness and caramel. Slightly bitter finish that is overpowered by the sweetness.

bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2006
A very thick, sweet sipping beer....and not really in a good way. I reminded me of bitter, sryup. Way to sweet finish - it’s just not a style I prefer, I guess

Anglofile (138) - Piti, GUAM - OCT 8, 2006
I love the labeling, like the sweet hoppy taste, and enjoy this beer altogether.