overall
RATINGS: 365   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Detailed in a letter from the General to his officers during the war, Washington’s recipe employed molasses to aid fermentation and give rich caramel notes to this robust, roasty ale. The recipe reflected his admiration for Philadelphia-style porters, especially those brewed by Robert Hare (whose original brewery stood just blocks from where ours is now). Our Tavern Porter, inspired by Washington’s, is dark, smooth, and complex with just a hint of dried fruit in the finish

rafalski (6) - annandale, New Jersey, USA - JAN 31, 2004 does not count
dark roasted malts with a hint of fruity and yet hoppy finish. the flavor is sweet with hints of molasses and a bit of dark chocolate finish. very mouthful with gentle dryness that is followed by nutty aromas, caramel punch and leathery smooth lingering finish. wonderful porter. the way any porter should be.

drougkolya (276) - Otterburn Park, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 18, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 8, 2011 Superbe bonne bière noir de type porter, utilisant de la mélasse. Pas beaucoup houblonné, mais bien dosé, collet de mousse moyen. Dégusté à la brasserie de Philadelphie!

Paulwasser (3) - Alabama, USA - NOV 11, 2017 does not count
This is one of the smoothest porters I have tried. I really enjoy this Porter from Yards. Give it a try and I am sure you will too.

pubscout (30) - Perth Amboy, New Jersey, USA - MAR 24, 2004
Porter is not supposed to be Stout, and this baby isn't. The posts I read about it being too thin didn't ring true with me, though. I thought it was excellent, had a wonderful mouthfeel, and a magnificent nose. Taste-wise I felt it was right on style, malty, smooth with a nice balance of hops. Most pleasing to the eye, it's a beautiful garnet/brown, too. I've done extensive reading about Washington and I daresay he was a most remarkable man--the right man in the right place at the right time for our country. His "Rules of Civility" should have included offering this beer to guests, though. If this was what he brewed and drank, he gets my vote for "President for life."