overall
RATINGS: 224   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28/5   IBU: 13   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bronze Medal Winner in the Indigenous Ales category at the 2013 Great American Beer Festival. Based on Franklin’s original recipe, which called for barley, molasses, and essence of spruce, our Tavern Spruce is as approachable and engaging as was the man himself. We source blue spruce clippings from a local organic farmer, steeping them in the kettle to create this one-of-a-kind deep amber ale. Originally brewed exclusively for Philadelphia’s historic City Tavern, Spruce is now available throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region.

jport4087 (178) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 26, 2010
Bottle. Pours a clear copper color with a nice white head. Smooth piney aroma. Light caramel notes. Nice, creamy, smooth taste. Very surprised by this one. I actually liked this one very much. The Yard’s streak continues...never had one I didn’t enjoy.

Ratman197 (14976) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - JUN 18, 2010
Bottle poured a clear reddish brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of spruce, molasses and burnt carmel. Palate was medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish. Flavors of spruce, molasses, earthiness and carmel with a smooth dry lingering spruce finish.

mansquito (6514) - Nueva York, New York, USA - JUN 18, 2010
Case: Pours a mahogony amber color with an off-white head that stays around for a bit and leaves some leacing in the wake of its retreat. Aroma got molasses at the forefront with some malt backing it up. Can’t quite get the spruce out of the nose. Flavor is interesting and tastes like no other beer I had, although I must say that a certain familiarity is there. A bunch of molasses and a sweet finish, but really not that sweet. There is a real earthy feel to it, which I guess comes at least in part from the spruce. This is the kind of beer which is simply hard to describe because the vocabulary we are so used to simply does not apply. All in all, it ain’t bad and I’ll drink another two or three.

Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - JUN 13, 2010
Thanks for a great person sending this to me. I poured this bottle into a small sifter it produced a small white bubbly head that left fast the body was a light brown in color. The aromas were sweet and malty balanced by some unmistakable spruce note. The flavor was nice as well it was defiantly one of the best spiced beer I have ever had truly enjoyable it had that bitter spruce flavor but a big old molasses base to balance this one out. It felt great in the mouth with good carbonation. A great beer I could have had another one right after my first which is suprising for a spiced brew. well worth trying and seeking out Serving type: bottle

DeadGuyPerez (106) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2010
A new favorite of mine. Poured a dark brown with an off-white head. Aroma of alcohol and forests. Flavor was floral and botanical. Tasted like a hybrid of an ale and a well-brewed root beer. Light in the mouth. An interesting oddity.

scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 22, 2010
12 oz - Dark brown, thin white head. Toasted spruce and wet pine-like aromas warm to gingered chocolate and molasses like tones. Soft bittersweet evergreen and ginger flavors balance further on a chocolate-molasses foundation. Light bodied, soft carbonation, spruced finish. If I had lived 300 years ago, I would have been happy to drink gallons of this stuff in the local watering hole. Historical, unique, and well done in my book…

Davetopay (54) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - MAY 2, 2010
LOVE IT. I love the fact that Yards is willing to do these more traditional ales that are from off the beaten path. It reminds me a bit of the Fraoch Heather ale in that the mouth feel is very soft and damned near creamy. Not hoppy really, the malt takes a front seat here and is massaged into something smooth and comforting by the spruce tips which give off a gentle flowery note. Doesn’t get resinous like some might think. I haven’t had this in multiple servings back to back, but I like it as a single change of pace beer. If nothing else, give it a shot....you never know until you try! I also get the feeling some will be either love or hate it in their opinions...I love it.

nearbeer (5462) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 29, 2010
12 oz. Copper-brown with a small ring of foam. Faint aroma of chocolate and light spice. Big evergreen taste, balanced by some peppery cola and molasses. Very interesting and bold flavors. Light-medium body is sweet, a bit fizzy and slightly astringent.

hershiser2 (3478) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - APR 27, 2010
Bottle. Pours reddish with a small tan head. Smells of wine, trees, spruce. Tastes of spruce and a hint of spice. It’s OK, I wanted more.

SSKD814 (854) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 20, 2010
A- Translucent dark red/medium brown body. Uniform in color. Pours with thick off-white foamy head that quickly dwindles to a collar. Leaves behind some lacing in the glass. S- Nose is quite big and robust. Dark molasses and spices hit the nose first. With a sprucy background. T- very woody taste. Begins with a balance of spruce and molasses. Then the Spruce comes foreward and this ale begins to taste like what a Christmas tree smells like. Finish is very clean. Hints of sweet molasses linger. P- Medium carbonation and lightly syrupy body. O- Can’t really compare this beer to others in its style because this is truely a unique beer. Great history behind it and a decent brew overall. I will probably pick it up again. This is definately worth a try. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 07-18-2007 16:47:48