overall
RATINGS: 350   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This powerful and complex golden ale pays homage to Founding Father and fellow brewer, Thomas Jefferson. Yards Brewmaster, Tom Kehoe, worked closely with Philadelphia’s historic City Tavern to recreate this recipe, employing honey, rye, and wheat, just like the beer Jefferson made at Monticello.

oh6gdx (26488) - Vasa, FINLAND - OCT 3, 2005
Bottled. Hazy orange colour, mediumsized white head. Strong sweet apricot in aroma along with citrus and a sting of alcohol. Smooth fruity and flowery flavour. Some hops too.

sayravai (4710) - Helsinki, FINLAND - OCT 2, 2005
([email protected] Twist) Dark, hazy golden color with a small but tight head. Wineous, tannic, slightly alcoholic aroma with flowery hops, fruit and soap. Scotch-aley, sweetish and fruity flavor with some yeastiness. Long, dry and bitter-woody aftertaste. Quite full-bodied, vineous palate with low carbonation. A nice English-style strong ale with added hops.

omhper (25095) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - SEP 28, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2005 Bottled. Hazy golden, rich head. Perfumy honey aroma. Very sweet with soft, spritzy mouthfeel. Medium to full body with well structured malt profile. Peachy hops provide a bitter, salty finish. Honey however dominates the beer, and the sweetness gets a bit much, despite the efforts of the hops and malt.

Nuffield (4170) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2005
Bottle. Interesting concept--and as it happens, right now I’m reading a short biography of Jefferson, "Thomas Jefferson: Author of America," by Christopher Hitchens. It pours a vibrant amber/copper with a decent, moderately loose head, though that dies away soon enough. My biggest impression of this was of an English-made bitter, the only variance from that being more alcohol than a bitter. Malt front, with some suggestion of a cider, lots of caramel, and a little bit metallic (but nowhere as bad as I’ve seen). Sweet up front but moments of hoppy dryness, a little bit grassy in the finish. Good palate after a bit--there were moments I thought it was thin, but in the end the oily quality dominated it and the alcohol provided some sharp relief as well. Drinkable, for sure, though not the most wondrous of flavors; warming. I’d be happy to drink this on a winter day in the pub.

kramer (6682) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 23, 2005
12 oz bottle. Pours copper with a significant amount of fizzy carbonation, 1" thick frothy head that slowly dissipates. Aroma is fruity with a distinct granny smith apple scent, some buscuit malt in the background. The fizziness of this one just doesn’t quit, leading to a very bubbly appearance at the bottom of the head with a really creamy top to it. Body is rather thin and fizzy at first, with a oily finish. Flavor is very malty with a very sharp bitterness at the back of the throat. Alcohol comes out in the finish as a distinct warming sensation fills my throat. I can literally feel the alcohol on my breath after exhaling after a big gulp. Overall, I think that this beer is just missing something in the hops realm. I just rated Arrogant Bastard this week and this one doesn’t stack up as far as an "American Strong" goes. The historical perspective is interesting though, and for that I feel like this is worth a try.

Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - AUG 5, 2005
Hmm, interesting. My wife brought this back with her from Philly. She just took a sip from my glass and said she had it on tap there and it was different. I can’t help but to wonder what Jefferson was really trying to make or if this was even his creation. Pours a light orange color with a decent head and a tiny bit of lace. Aroma is...grassy a bit with some citrus going on. Flavor is also grassy with some phenolic presence. Not bad but it could be better; my wife said it was better on tap. Palate is well-carbonated and crisp but has an aftertaste that’s not very pleasant. Overall it’s okay. I’d buy it again to give it another shot but wouldn’t want a six-pack. I’d definitely try it on tap for comparison. I’m a US history buff so this means a bit more to me than most beers so I may be a bit biased.

mephisto (1288) - TAIWAN - JUL 20, 2005
mr. jefferson is apparently not too much of a brewer, though a brewer nevertheless. golden collor w/ large white foam. spicy aroma, fruity yet bitter, which is my main complain. the balance is lacking.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - JUN 20, 2005
12 oz bottle. Murky orange with a thick head and lots of lacing. Aroma is Belgian spices, lemon and malt. Taste is much of the same but bitter, dry and yeasty. The massive 8% is masked pretty well though. Mouthfeel is lively but theres a tinny aftertaste.

egajdzis (6574) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 18, 2005
Poured a hazy golden color with a small, white head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of spices, sweet caramel malts, and orange peel. Taste of spices, sweet malts, tart citrus, and a touch of alcohol in the finish.

MattShizzle (613) - Bernville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2005
An excellent, strong beer. Very interesting flavor. Different. No noticeable hop flavor.