overall
RATINGS: 296   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Many Mexican beer styles today are descendants of old Austrian styles, from when Austria ruled Mexico in the late 19th century. Our Dos Perros is made with German Munich malt, English Pale malt, and Chocolate malt, and hopped with Perle and Saaz hops. To lighten the body, as many Mexican brewers do, we add a small portion of flaked maize. The result is a wonderfully bready malt aroma, balanced with some maize sweetness and a noble hop finish.

jrob21 (3721) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 3, 2008
Bottle smuggled back from nashville last weekend. Crystal sugar and caramel/chocolate flavors dominate. Crisp clean flavor. Pours a murky brown color. Wheat and bread aroma. Decent drink that is again pretty straight up as far as style goes. These guys make quality beers but without much individuality. Reminds me of an engineer that makes beer as opposed to an artist that would take some liberties with their recipes.

nqualls (1452) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 28, 2008
On tap at the taproom in Nashville. Aroma of caramel. Flavor was malty with a slight bitter bite at the end. I thought this was ok, but the weakest of their three main beers.

CaptBier (323) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUN 3, 2008
Draught from Cask. clear dark brown, chocolate and dark caramel aroma, sweet caramel and chocolate flavor, light bitterness keeps the balance,

KDorgan12 (169) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - MAY 29, 2008
Draft-Nashville. Pours a beautiful but transparent brown, malty nose and a VERY smooth palate. Much more flavor than any mexican beer I’ve had. Kudos!

kevd193213 (991) - Hope Valley, Rhode Island, USA - MAY 26, 2008
Draught at the brewery. Dark brown pour with a thin tan head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate and hops with a sugar and spice finish. Another one that baffles me that the score isn’t higher. I guess because I had it fresh?

DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - MAY 26, 2008
There doesn’t seem to be much of a smell wafting from this little brew, but it is a flavourful and complexly palated beer. I’m not sure what it would optimally be paired with to eat, but this is a tastiness. This one seems to be slightly underrated, though that could be due to a thin wateriness about it, though it is noticeably more full-bodied than almost all Mexican beers to my knowledge (aside from Negra Modelo).

beckstein (4) - USA - MAY 12, 2008 does not count
Not a huge fan of this beer. I know what they were trying to emulate so for that I give them high marks because it is better than your run of the mill Mexican lager.

chef201atc (261) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - APR 5, 2008
Clear deep reddish brown pour with a scant bubbly off-white head. Light caramel, bread, and a small amount of dark fruit on the nose. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Flavor is light fruit, spice, and a small amount of hop bitterness. Very dry finish. Thanks to Tchrome for bringing this back for me.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAR 20, 2008
Clear brown with a small off-white head. Hints of malt, cinnamon, cocoa. Flavor is subtly earthy and a touch bitter. Unimpressive.

NachlamSie (3504) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 15, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2009 Bottled from the first week of December, 2007. This is a hazy brown, much to my surprise. For some unknown reason, I just assumed this was a golden ale since I knew the other two Yazoo bottles were not. The aroma is nutty and caramely with hints at earth and even milk chocolate. There is a wax chocolate flavor along with corn, wheat bread, and something a little tart, but mostly this is a sweet, malty brew. hm. This is alright, especially for a supposed Altbier, but the corny finish doesn’t sit well with me.
[November 30, 2009]
Bottle from the last week of August 2009. I keep trying to revisit this because I don’t know what to make of it. I want to like it because it is a little different from the meager selection of beers at the grocery store, but in the end I think it failed to really impress me. The pour is amber with a small head. Aroma is corny with a faint sourness. The flavor is mild with a silky palate. This feels and tastes like a lager what with its vegetal qualities and strange sourness in the finish. So, this is not terrible but I think I’m done with Dos Perros for a while.