overall
RATINGS: 85   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9/5   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
50% Pale malt 31% Vienna malt 12% Cara 20 malt 7% Flaked maize Bittered with Perle, flavor and aroma with Tettnanger OG: 11 Plato FG: 2.5 Plato IBUs: 11 SRM: 5.0 Fermented on the cool side with our house ale yeast, around 62 F for primary fermentation. The cool temperature restrains our house ale yeast, so that the beer is very clean, with a slight ester that we think pairs up well with the caramel flavors from the Cara 20 malt. So it’s an ALE, but with the clean character of a typical lager, and without the slight sulfury notes some lager yeasts give. So where did we come up with the recipe? The Chandlers did not have any original recipe information, so we relied on descriptions from the time, plus some information on the recipe that Evansville Brewing used when the Chandlers introduced Gerst Amber back into Nashville in the 1990’s. Most of the beers that the William Gerst Brewing Company would have made would have been lagers, likely in the German style, but they did produce some ales. As far as ingredients, we used mostly German malts, but with a small portion of flaked maize (corn). I can’t be sure, but I would guess that some of these adjunct malts would have been used.

refinedinthefire (1) - danville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 16, 2017 does not count
Please aroma that reminds me of sweet caramel corn, caramel/burnt coffee color, light/non harsh taste, hits the lips and I want to refill it again, overall a knockout!

rbowers83 (19) - Old Hickory, Tennessee, USA - AUG 3, 2013
Not perfect, but darn near close for my taste. I enjoy local beer, so this one is in my back yard. Great taste that keeps pace, and doesn’t leave an aftertaste.

SSSteve (4006) - - JUL 11, 2012
bottle. clear copper. sweet honey and floral nose. flavor has the perfect amount of sweet and balance. medium body with an ultra smooth palate. cereal flavors with honey and floral hops. just a really great amber all around. cool retro looking label.

Boomersmancave1 (133) - Wheatland, Indiana, USA - AUG 4, 2016
Bottle. Grainy aroma. Grain, malt and spice taste. Light in spice but still has a light cinnamon aftertaste. Good with grilled food. Will have again.