overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldnt be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldnt use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotlands west coast. Like the Auld Alliance it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the worlds first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Dont fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Wombata (623) - Kobe, JAPAN - APR 12, 2012
Bottle. Aroma: Smoky peat, whiskey-like but without the alcohol burn, bandaids, woody earth. Palate: Smooth, almost weightless mouth feel that is almost ethereal. Flavor: Brief note of honey quickly swamped by a tsunami of smoky peat. Finishes with grilled flavors and notes of barbeque. Comments: As if the Red Rackham, which I loved, wasnt wacky enough, this one takes the cake. But, dont be afraid; just approach with care. Though just about everyone says its too over-the-top, I like that it has the character of whiskey without the weight or alcohol burn. Also, the palate is brilliant. This could blend very nicely with a stout; or, after an evening of tasting a lot of imperial stouts, this would make a good night cap. As is, its an acquired taste. I would try it again though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
omega (900) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 7, 2012
I think this beer has calmed down a little since my last taste. For Islay drinkers only this beer is a love hate which is why I think this beer scores so poorly. Last time I had this beer I fished the empty bottle out of the bin so I could sniff the malty goodness. I probably have scored this beer higher overall because I like that I like it when so many people hate it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
walkingstd (20) - - MAR 13, 2012
Amazing aroma. Smoked peat, charcoal nose. Ruined the taste buds on my tongue. I couldn't drink more than half a bottle. Unpleasant taste left in mouth and stings the nose! Interesting concept, but what's the point if you can't enjoy your drink? ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
sunevdj (4038) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - FEB 23, 2012
Bottle at Te Anau. Pours a clear golden with a white head. Smells of peated whisky. Mellow sweet- and dryness. Aromas of peated malts and some leather. Medium bodied. Medium to soft carbonation. Dry leathery finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Grant1 (2) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 5, 2012 does not count
Unique, exactly has everyone has said - the smoke and iodine of a fabulous single malt from Islay. A real pleasure to find something different.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OJB (39) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 31, 2011
The colour was medium amber gold, and there was medium carbonation and a light creamy head. The aroma had very strong peaty smoky wood, and light malt crispness. The flavour had light citrus and hop flavours and a very intense smoky charcoal woody finish. This was a very unusual style totally dominated by smoky wood like some styles of malt whisky I have tried (Laphroaig), not sure if I totally like it but unusual and interesting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
inceptioj (54) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 28, 2011
Unlike any other beer Ive tried and not at all what I expected. The nose is quite awful really but I dont think its meant to be sniffed. Upon drinking I was greeted with a mouthful of smokey dirt. It reminded me of the burnt bits left in the pan after roasting a chicken. If you havent experienced peat before this probably isnt a good start as its quite unforgiving. If youre a fan of peat then youll love this beer. Its ironically quite light in colour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NEG (1) - NEW ZEALAND - DEC 15, 2011 does not count
This beer smells like a dirty soi in Bangkok, with a hint of Laphroaig. Although past smell, it is pure SUCCESS.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kiwi_daz (54) - NEW ZEALAND - NOV 27, 2011
i was really blown away with this beer, I am a lover of Laphroaig and this was like having a fizzy version. It went down really well with the vegetable curry I had. Good to see brewers taking risks.

andyp547 (1) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 16, 2011 does not count
This beer is my new favourite. If you love Islay malt whiskies (as I do like Laphroiag and Lagavulin) then this beer is for you.