overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

Ellery (29) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 24, 2014
This its like drinking laphroaig whisky in a beer! And on steroids! Massive amount of smoke and malt, not for the faint hearted!

northropfrye (3662) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAY 23, 2014
I’ve tried almost 2000 beers, so it’s very rare that I come across one I’d describe as unlike anything I’ve ever had, but this one definitely meets that description. Once again the variety of beer never ceases to amaze me. Just when you think you’ve tried every flavour combination a new one arises. This is an experimental beer, for sure, but, for the most part, it works. Pale yellow body, not a lot of head. Immediately I was struck by a smoky peat moss aroma. I’m not a scotch drinker really, but it did remind me of the smokier whisky I tried in Scotland last summer. It’s smoky in a different way than a typical rauchbier and I don’t quite have the vocabulary to describe it, other than to say it’s uniquely smoky. I like it. The taste is initially sweet, but soon that strange smoke comes in....like a scotch without any trace of booze. Strange but not unpleasant. The palate was a touch soft, but overall this is definitely worth trying. It works.

1.1
bigbeerlover (14) - North Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - APR 18, 2014
By far the worst beer I’ve ever tried to drink. It simply made me angry. 3 sips then down the drain.

nlderricks (16) - Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA - MAR 19, 2014
It's like having a lagavulin, laphroaig, ardbeg, etc but you low alcohol. Awesome for any Islay scotch lover. Maybe off putting to a normal beer drinker. Must have The Derricks ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

KansaiBeerLvrs (5241) - Kyoto, JAPAN - MAR 6, 2014
Yestie Boy’s Rex Attitude made with 100% smoked malt. 7% served in a beer mug. When I think smoked beer I think dark beer, amber brown but this pours a crystal clear deep gold with a good half-inch of foamy head leaving behind decent lacing. The aroma is not-surprisngly smoke, specifically peaty but with some of that slightly chemical almost band-aid type of aroma. It has zero hop bouquet and in terms of smell is close to a whiskey or scotch. Medium bodied with a relative smooth or slightly slick mouthfeel the taste is woody, wood smoke, peat, charcoal briquets... basically you’re drinking smoke. It settles in the pit of my stomach in an acidic way. I should have brought this to share with people, 330ml may be too much for me to drink on my own it is an over-the-top beer. Interesting concept, drinkable but seriously 50-100ml is enough... probably if you enjoy whiskey you will dig this beer much more than me.

cgarvieuk (25274) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - FEB 28, 2014
From brewer... Golden amber... Thin white head... Soft peaty... Light iodine nose... Soft fruit... Light fruit... Big soft peat... Quite light body... Long long peat... Interesting

Scrapersnbeer (1532) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 23, 2014
Like chilling out in a locker of smoked porkbelly while enjoying some whiskey. I was warned not to try it...by the sales guy and by the label on the bottle. Aroma of course is very smokey, like the worst aka best Framconian smoke shows. It is hazy yellow, without your nose you make suspect a hefe. Flavor of harsh, bitter ashiness. Recalls drinking an IPA while dipping snuff, which is a unique experience I don’t recommend. It’s very smooth and mellow body wise, so not so challenging as some claim. This is a love it / hate it beer, as is the smoking section of beers in general.

bvc (1242) - Washington, USA - JAN 29, 2014
33cl bottle. Pours clear golden, had to vigorously pour to form a head. Iodine, band aid...nothing but peated malt here. Thin body with flabby carbonation. More of the same to drink, but once my palate is completely coated with peat, I get some long lingering stewed vegetable going on. I like Islay scotch, but there is a reason nobody else has done 100% peated malt.

skortila (5967) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - JAN 23, 2014
Bottled. New Zealand holiday 2011-12. Old notes. The aroma has mainly peat, medicin, ashtray, but there is an occasional hop sparkling in the nose. Clear, golden coloured beer with a white head. The taste is light bitter and full of ashtray. Slightly carbonated, body is relative thin which makes it more drinkable. How ever the pure ashtray is just not really enjoyable. But well, bonus points because it’s such a cool experiment. ;-)

alexsdad06 (10586) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - JAN 7, 2014
12 oz bottle shared by Tmoney99 in 2012. Pours a hazy golden color with a medium sized disappearing white head. The aroma and flavor were all peated smoke, alcohol, as the beer warmed it added some hints of wood, some sweetness with a dry finish. I am not the biggest fan of the peated whiskey type beers.