overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

blankboy (7735) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 17, 2013
Bottle [11.2oz]. Pours a cloudy gold with a huge fluffy white head. Minimal lacing on the glass. Aroma is all peat -- really, it’s just peat. Flavour is all peat all the time along with maybe some fruit and malt in there. Medium bodied. Funny story, when I popped the cap my dog instantly looked up, started sniffing the air and proceeded to get up and go nuts and sniff the air continuously. I figured out it smells just like the Denta Sticks we give him. An interesting beer for sure, I liked it.

jonnyguns (1105) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 24, 2013
Tap at cookie. Fucking smoky bacon on the nose and taste. Really light yellow in colour. Fucking different shit ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

suprchunk (2994) - Crestview, Florida, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Golden color. Small white. Little lacing. Smoky aroma. Very smoky. Smoky taste. Very peaty. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

subcombicio (166) - Marghera, ITALY - AUG 11, 2013
Odore di torba che si conferma poi in bocca. Lascia un gusto affumicato che fa innamorare.

Travlr (25558) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 10, 2013
Bottle. Holy cow, I wish somebody had warned me about this one. But everyone made fun of me after I ordered it. Pire peat and smoke, through and through. And the bar I’m at can’t take food orders now because they’re busy and the kitchen is stessed out. So I’m stuck with this one. Oh well.

imaragingbull (575) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUL 12, 2013
Bottle. Pours hazy gold yellow with small dense off white head and good lace. Aromas of big peated malt, woodfire ash, bacon over a typical NZ hop berry, grapes fruit salad character. Medium body, medium carbonation, nutty-almond character, caramel-toffee sweetness coming through toward the finish. Big hit of peaty malt up front, lingering to a pleasant ongoing character.

Dorqui (2260) - Brescia, ITALY - JUL 1, 2013
Bottled 0,50L. Hazy and fraught yellow clear color, optimal bubbly presence and great creamy foamy head of lond duration and volume. Unusual smoked nose, little spiced and crisp; notes of smoked cheese, malty, honey. Fresh start in mouth, discreet alcoholic impact and realy prickly and lively taste. Very arid and bitter end with notes of ash and roast wood. Irregular but at the same time palatable.

DylansDad (652) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 29, 2013
Next time I want to taste a mixture of scotch, ash, smoke, black carbonated scrapings from my fish smoker, burnt salmon fat and woodchips, burning plastic, burning eyebrows and medicine, now I know I can get it in one convenient bottle. Happy days!

floydian1 (1477) - FNQ, Australia, - MAY 2, 2013
330ml bottle from Oak Barrel, Sydney. Pale golden pour with a white head. Prominent smoky nose with peat and medinical notes that fortunately is not reflected too much on the tongue which is surprisingly mild comparatively, although smoky bacon and woody elements are still there to be enjoyed. Finishes dry with a subtle lingering smokiness. This is not a style I naturally warm to but this is one of the better smoked beers I have tasted.

elihapa (1554) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - APR 23, 2013
Yeastie boys Rex attitude Fall ‘12... Smoky woody aroma, peat mild medicinal. Flavor is more of same, tempered by sweeter biscuit nutty malts. Well crafted, perceived as a smoky blonde marzen. Recalls ddc charbonniere with peat