overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

halfbaked (48) - - FEB 16, 2013
Don’t know how to rate this. It’s disgusting...but it isn’t badly made. The colour is much lighter than the dark, smokey flavour would suggest. The overpowering flavour of Islay overrides all else. I just don’t want my beer to taste like this.

HenrikSoegaard (14480) - Randers, DENMARK - FEB 3, 2013
Bottle. Creamy white good mostly lasting head. Yellow colour. Light malty and hoppy aroma dominated bu burned plastic notes. Light bitter ugly flavor. Short finish. Oily palate. tastes r´terrible and no way is peated (read islay whisky) present. only the burned plastic dominates. Sad beer.

saxo (19357) - Højbjerg, Aarhus, DENMARK - FEB 1, 2013
Bottle. Nice head with good duration. Color is golden. Aroma and taste are rich smoky malt, ashtray, peat, notes of caramel and hops.

ComradeK (1256) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JAN 28, 2013
330ml bottle. Pours a hazy light chestnut, with a smallish white head, which lasts reasonably well but does not leave much lacing. The aroma is very smoky indeed, with powerful notes of Islay whisky and smoked meat. There are some fairly clean citrus hops up front, but they are soon overcome by savoury smokiness. Peaty Islay whisky leads into some smoky bacon and wood smoke, with peppery notes in a dry, smoky finish. The weighty smoke flavours of this beer are kept nicely in check by its fairly light body, so despite being one of the smokiest beers I have had, it is not overbearing. A serious, and seriously enjoyable, smoked ale.

obguthr (6595) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - JAN 20, 2013
Holiest of holy crap what is this?!?!? To say this beer smells of chloraseptic would be an enormous understatement. I popped the cap and the smell filled the room, and the next room as well. After letting it sit for awhile, I was able to also identify heavily peated malt. It may just be safe to drink after all. I’d give it a try anyway as it is my adventurous nature. Cloudy amber, thick sticky head. Extremely ashy and peaty flavor, intense, within a lemony orange base. Clean, but in a clincally too clean way.. In a strange way, I kind of admire the boldness. Then again, it’s very gimmicky. I can see myself a few years from now craving this beer. For now, I think I’m good.

jtclockwork (17102) - , New Jersey, USA - JAN 8, 2013
Bottle. Beer basically drainpoured itself when it shot out of the glass. Nose is almost purely smoke and medicine. Taste is medicinal with heavy smoked malt, yeast and light lemon. Light bodied.

davidm (2081) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 31, 2012
Bottle from King&Godfree. Great smoky beer. Aromas of smoke and grass, with notes of caramel. Taste is sweet, with bitter notes, and long length. Taste is full bodied. Yellow, with a frothy head.

deyholla (12038) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 28, 2012
On tap at Bangers and Lace. Pours a cloudy gold with a white head that dissipates slowly to the edges. Aroma is intense peat that imparts heavy earthy smoke, leather and a hint of bandaid. Flavor has heavy peat that gives a earthy, bog peat note with underlying leather, ashtray and smoked meats. A bit overwhelming.

dgi (17) - DENMARK - OCT 29, 2012
Certainly a really a beer that I’ll remember. The aroma is a blast of smoked malt notes which pretty much cover everything else. I am a big fan of peated whiskey (luckily, or I would not have survived this one), so I enjoyed it a lot, but it certainly is rather extreme.

Lubiere (14131) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 25, 2012
A hazed golden blonde ale with a thin lacing white head. In aroma, suoer smokey malt with wood extract, molasses, phenolics, intense. In mouth, a smooth smoked up malt with wood extracts, phenols, intense yet restrained, pleasant, would be good with ham. On tap at Ginger Man NYC, Sept 21, 2012.