overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldnt be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldnt use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotlands west coast. Like the Auld Alliance it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the worlds first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Dont fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

andyp547 (1) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 16, 2011 does not count
This beer is my new favourite. If you love Islay malt whiskies (as I do like Laphroiag and Lagavulin) then this beer is for you.

nlderricks (16) - Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA - MAR 19, 2014
It's like having a lagavulin, laphroaig, ardbeg, etc but you low alcohol. Awesome for any Islay scotch lover. Maybe off putting to a normal beer drinker. Must have The Derricks ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopObessaison (21) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 6, 2011
The Rex is sex. Tap at Beervana, poured by the creator, full on peat, mild citrus notes, very drinkable, one of the best beers in NZ.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zeke_NZL (32) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 23, 2011
Smells like a good Islay whisky. Second time i have had this on tap and I had 2 pints which considering the beer is a good effort i think. Very phenolic but i love peaty whisky so that is a good thing. Took me a few swigs to let my tastebuds adjust to the taste but after that it was awesome. Marked down for poor head retention and having to let tastebuds adjust.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kempicus (343) - Bakewell, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - SEP 11, 2011
What a fantastically interesting beer, i have a problem with smoked beers in that ive never found one smokey enough, this beer almost gets there. Easily the most interesting beer ive drunk all year i found this to be ridiculously evocative, it took me on a journey of flash backs to BBQs and campfires of my past and remembrances of great times. I loved the way my senses recalibrated while drinking this beer, they went from shocked smokiness with my first sip to realising the subtle nuances in the underlying beer towards the end of the glass. Oh how i wished this was in a 750ml bottle, oh how i wished i could buy it over here!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
davidm (2072) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 31, 2012
Bottle from King&Godfree. Great smoky beer. Aromas of smoke and grass, with notes of caramel. Taste is sweet, with bitter notes, and long length. Taste is full bodied. Yellow, with a frothy head.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ellery (29) - AUSTRALIA - MAY 24, 2014
This its like drinking laphroaig whisky in a beer! And on steroids! Massive amount of smoke and malt, not for the faint hearted!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
OStreetBrewery (120) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 9, 2011
A highly complex and original beer that will divide peoples opinions. I love it and think its genius. Tasted over the first fortnight of its release, rate is for the last occasion. Pours a mid gold with a tight white head. Huge aromas of light heathery smoke, kippers, bandaid phenolics, a hint of drain, and some low level tropical fruit. In the mouth there is an initial malt sweetness, some ashy notes, a blast of tropical pineapple fruit, charred campfire, a sandy note and a long earthy finish. As you drink the beer the hop fruitiness comes out and the peat reduces. Lovly stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Coldaz (1) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 15, 2011 does not count
Not since Epic Pale Ale have I discovered such a wonderfully interesting beer. Rex Attitude, impressed, puzzled, amazed and suprised me. As I sat at the House Bar sipping my first RA, I had to decide something, was this the best beer I had ever tasted... or not...? Musky, smokey, freshly sanded ancient oak floor greeted me first, then the colour ! that was the biggest surprise, how could such a pale beer disguise so much flavour and intrigue ? Hops are not forgotten in this beer either and the malt ballance completes this enormously satisfying beer. Its on my list to clone but I suspect, wont be everyones cup o tea.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ferris (13850) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle - Sweet peat, smoke and BBQ. Clear gold with a decent white head. Just like it smells, lovely peat, a total smoke bomb. Love it long time.