overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 141   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

Coldaz (1) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 15, 2011 does not count
Not since Epic Pale Ale have I discovered such a wonderfully interesting beer. Rex Attitude, impressed, puzzled, amazed and suprised me. As I sat at the House Bar sipping my first RA, I had to decide something, was this the best beer I had ever tasted... or not...? Musky, smokey, freshly sanded ancient oak floor greeted me first, then the colour ! that was the biggest surprise, how could such a pale beer disguise so much flavour and intrigue ? Hops are not forgotten in this beer either and the malt ballance completes this enormously satisfying beer. Its on my list to clone but I suspect, won’t be everyone’s cup ’o tea.

Ferris (16494) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle - Sweet peat, smoke and BBQ. Clear gold with a decent white head. Just like it smells, lovely peat, a total smoke bomb. Love it long time.

Grant1 (2) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 5, 2012 does not count
Unique, exactly has everyone has said - the smoke and iodine of a fabulous single malt from Islay. A real pleasure to find something different.

BramV (3) - - MAR 15, 2015 does not count
Golden Ale, supersmoky - like drinking a BBQ. Amazing Discovery - Love it. Rare find though

greig (253) - Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 13, 2011
This beer leaves me extremely conflicted. I expected to hate it. The sheer amount of hype surrounding it reinforced that expectation. The fact that I know the brewer (and he’s a lovely man, as is his business partner, and the man who actually makes the beer under contract - a triangle of niceness) didn’t help this negative expectation. In fact, he’d recently been on an "unfollow" mission against brewers on twitter who only twwet about their own beer, but lately, all he’s been tweeting is related to this beer. I love him, and I forgive him, because the emperor is fully clothed in some serious finery here. There’s no sign of Imperial todger. The beer is dominated by peat (as advertised), but the hops manage to assert themselves despite this. They leave a delicious heathery/spicy note among the wreathes of smoke. It’s like you’ve walked in on Gandalf getting his pipe on with a bunch of hobbits in a herb garden. That makes no sense, and nor does this beer, but it works so well. Nobody is more surprised at how much I like this beer than I am. Well done Stu and Sam. This is insane, inspired, and in-my-belly!

Lazlo_Panaflex (6) - - SEP 1, 2011 does not count
Every time I try a smoked beer I generally feel like I’ve been assaulted. In a good way. This beer is no different. Having tasted and enjoyed their Pot Kettle Black Dark IPA, I was looking forward to this beer. Yeastie Boys are known for pushing the boundaries of brewing and this beer is no different. The nose is exactly what you’d expect. Smoke and tobacco. It’s almost overpowering. I say almost because there’s still something enjoyable about it. It’s like being forced face first into an ashtray by an angry punter who thinks you’ve been eyeing of his missus but when he realises you stare that way because you have a bung eye, he decides to buy you a beer and shakes your hand. Colour wise, it has a brilliant golden hue. This is the main source of confusion. I generally associate the smoky hobo-ashtray like aromas with dark, sullen ales or porters but in this case it comes from a fantastic and bright looking beer. If I was to ever be tongue pashed by a chain smoking super model, this is what it would be like. It’s terribly smoky but the hops comes through and leaves a nice spicy flavour with a lingering finish that reminds me of barbeque lamb chops. This is a man’s beer. If you are a man and you don’t like this beer then frankly, you are NO man in my books. A truly unique beer.

johndoughty (5543) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - SEP 7, 2017
Bottle. Golden with a small head and clear appearance. Lovely smoky flavour with maltiness in the background. Medium body. The flavour takes some getting use to but after a while I realised that it was distinctive and enjoyable. A very drinkable beer which I rate highly but i can understand others finding it a bit weird.