overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

subcombicio (166) - Marghera, ITALY - AUG 11, 2013
Odore di torba che si conferma poi in bocca. Lascia un gusto affumicato che fa innamorare.

sx_fusion (8) - NEW ZEALAND - MAY 17, 2011 does not count
I have never smelt or tasted anything like this every. The peated malt is obviously the feature of this beer. Surprisingly drinkable but ifyou like pale lagers then it’s best to turn and run. Very bold

Maris (1574) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - OCT 26, 2011
From a 330ml bottle on 26/10/2011. Pours a slightly opaque light golden with a decent head. Has an extremely powerful peaty, Islay single malt aroma. The flavour is similar. This is the beer incarnation of a Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg. Has a touch of citrus and long bitter finish. This shouldn’t work but it does. A crazy, interesting, impressive one of a kind beer.

omega (900) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 7, 2012
I think this beer has calmed down a little since my last taste. For Islay drinkers only this beer is a love hate which is why I think this beer scores so poorly. Last time I had this beer I fished the empty bottle out of the bin so I could sniff the malty goodness. I probably have scored this beer higher overall because I like that I like it when so many people hate it.

Theis (15152) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 20, 2012
Bottle at Den Tatoverede Enke. Clear golden/amber - offwhite head. 100% peated malts. Fruity. Smokey. High smokey. Ok malty sweetness. Grassy. Iod. Nice.

Beese (3084) - Watford, Hertfordshire, ENGLAND - JUL 27, 2017
330ml bottle at Kill the Cat, Brick Lane. Wow! I love me some peaty whisky and beer to boot. This was really, really intense and unique. I've had loads of peated malt beers, and Isley Barrel Aged ones, but this kicked it up a notch. I can't say it works 100%, but it's a good attempt at something very out there.

jonno (2880) - JAPAN - JUN 17, 2011
Love it. Exactly what I imagine a beer to taste like if it wore peated malt clothing. Lots of medicinal, peat notes in the nose and on the palate and a little smoked ham/fish. It is very easy drinking for such an experiment. A real kick in the chops after the inoculous pale straw pour. Would I buy another bottle? Probably not, but for what it is, we may have a new style. Peat pale ale? Smoky blonde? Good stuff.

TheRealMGD (555) - Lakewood, Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2011
Bottle at Galbraith’s. Hazy, gold pour with a short white head. Peaty, medicinal nose - I knew I was in trouble shortly after the bartender opened the bottle. Even at arm’s length the aroma of this beer is remarkable. Medium-light body with lively carbonation. Peat, smoked peat, dark-roasted peat. Grilled peat. And more peat. And smoke. FFS, is this even beer? Or is it tonic and Laphroaig? This is vile, evil stuff. I love it. Conforms to no beer standard I’m aware of and not recommended if you want to taste anything else in the current session. Or possibly ever. Not exactly sessionable, but very enjoyable if you pace yourself.

kiwi_daz (55) - NEW ZEALAND - NOV 27, 2011
i was really blown away with this beer, I am a lover of Laphroaig and this was like having a fizzy version. It went down really well with the vegetable curry I had. Good to see brewers taking risks.

yespr (47077) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - SEP 18, 2012
33 cl bottle, thanks to Ungstrup. Pours hazy yellow with a huge white head. Aroma is tarish, smoked ham and bacon. Ham, tarish and smoked. Dry and dense smoked. Wooden and bacon to ham smoked finish.