overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Smoked
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 140   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
They said it couldn’t be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn’t use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and decided to try 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland’s west coast. Like the ’Auld Alliance’ it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French je ne sais quoi. It is, as far as we know, the world’s first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

Don’t fucking sniff it and swirl... this is Scottish malt. Drink it.

rosenbergh (11753) - Tampere, FINLAND - FEB 11, 2017
330 ml bottle. BB Jun/19. Thanks Kiwi-Timo!
Clear deep golden amber color with a tiny off-white head. Tar, peat, smoke, tervaleijona and more peat in the aroma. The flavor is peat, malt, smoke and tervaleijona. Not something you wanna drink everyday and a lot. Peat juice.

Skarecrow (872) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 3, 2017
330ml bottle Slight hazy yellow pour with OK head. Strong Elastoplast aroma with peat reek at the back. Very strong smoky peat taste which carries through from beginning to end. Mild bitterness. Certainly a unique beer if a little overpowering. Fans of Islay single malt whisky would probably like it.

grapengrain (124) - Havelock North, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 21, 2011
Really exciting beer - not as scary as I imagined. Obviously extremely peaty but not overwhelming - the aroma and flavour have a depth and level of complexity - umami that I don’t find very many other places - the only thing I can compare it to - not in flavour but in feel is truffle. Because distilling malt is used the malt body is a little one dimentional; that said it is all about that one type of malt. The beer is brightened up by fresh hop notes - mainly on the palate as the Peat overcomes them on the nose

inceptioj (54) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 28, 2011
Unlike any other beer I’ve tried and not at all what I expected. The nose is quite awful really but I don’t think it’s meant to be sniffed. Upon drinking I was greeted with a mouthful of smokey dirt. It reminded me of the burnt bits left in the pan after roasting a chicken. If you haven’t experienced peat before this probably isn’t a good start as it’s quite unforgiving. If you’re a fan of peat then you’ll love this beer. It’s ironically quite light in colour.

dgi (17) - DENMARK - OCT 29, 2012
Certainly a really a beer that I’ll remember. The aroma is a blast of smoked malt notes which pretty much cover everything else. I am a big fan of peated whiskey (luckily, or I would not have survived this one), so I enjoyed it a lot, but it certainly is rather extreme.

novels (424) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 26, 2013
A beer that certainly isn’t for everyone. Ultra smoked with a thick, oily viscosity and an intense flavor using peat malt (yeah, the kind typically used to make spirits, not beers) Not sure of the color because I drank it from the bottle, and while it was far from delicious, it was certainly one of the most interesting beers I’ve ever tasted. Very smokey, oily, extremely dry finish. Intense.

junon (430) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - APR 10, 2013
That’s smokey. Sensory overload really. If you like smoked meat then this beer is for you. I would not suggest eating with this beer.

floydian1 (1478) - FNQ, Australia, - MAY 2, 2013
330ml bottle from Oak Barrel, Sydney. Pale golden pour with a white head. Prominent smoky nose with peat and medinical notes that fortunately is not reflected too much on the tongue which is surprisingly mild comparatively, although smoky bacon and woody elements are still there to be enjoyed. Finishes dry with a subtle lingering smokiness. This is not a style I naturally warm to but this is one of the better smoked beers I have tasted.

XaenDovet (1282) - British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle share. Thanks Amanda! Cloudy yellow. Aroma is earthy peat, straw, honey. Taste is sweet. A bit thin but really interesting and great aroma.

anstei (2510) - Zurich, SWITZERLAND - JAN 18, 2015
330ml bottle. Pours yellow with almost no head. Smells like a sweet smoky scotch that doesn’t know it’s actually beer. Lots of peat in the taste as well. Rather an experimental beer than anything else though.