overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston's)
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3648   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007. Brand acquired solely by Charles Wells in 2011.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young’s award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

omhper (26352) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JAN 26, 2002
Dark brown. Soft maltiness, slightly roasrt, nice strong flavours of dark chocolate. Very tasty!

Turbotommy (32) - Westlake Village, California, USA - JAN 21, 2002
Good idea, looks good, even smells good...but, the taste doesn't seem to match. Although, it is full of interesting flavors including a slight chocolate taste, it seems a tad too skunky.

fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - JAN 20, 2002
Very smooth, black beer with your typical nitro-can head. Plenty of chocolate to spare but not much else, it was good but the body was very weak.

a-team99 (2) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 17, 2002 does not count
This is a very good stout! I was extremely surprised on just how much it actually tasted like Chocolate. I will have to add this to my list of beers to drink regularly.

ravidesai (980) - Bombay, INDIA - JAN 16, 2002
a beautiful stout. aftertastse of chocolate and coffee. a nice chewy mouthfeel but still very drinkable. one of my favorite stouts

Aurelius (5741) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 14, 2002
Very good brew. Sub-optimal (but good) aroma and palate. Very good chocolate flavor. Dry for a stout, really a porter. Middle bittering stands out with a trailing roast/coffee aftertaste. A brew off-the-beaten-path, which is always a good thing in my book. Well done.

jcalbi (380) - Medford, New Jersey, USA - JAN 13, 2002
Too sweet and flat for me. nuff said. .....................................

GiddyBoy (121) - USA - JAN 12, 2002
Very smooth and tasty. It had practically had NO aftertaste, which is great in my book. It had a large, creamy head, and was very very dark. It was strong, yet never overpowering. This was very impressive to me.

Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - JAN 6, 2002
It was brought to my attention by my brother that the man with the big brown turban, (Richi), ripped my off on my 4 pack cans ($9)...but due to this beers' excellence, not even you ,Richi, can make me angry anymore

unixweb (238) - Sherman, Texas, USA - JAN 5, 2002
I saw this and had to try it. I wasn't disappointed. From the moment I opened the bottle I smelled the chocolate malt and some other more lingering chocolate notes. The taste was slightly bitter but a good bitter, and one I wanted to keep tasting. I can't wait to try it again since I bought only one bottle! I half expected 'Guiness meets Hershey's Special Dark' but instead got a memorable bitter chocolate experience with only my second stout.