overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston's)
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3648   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007. Brand acquired solely by Charles Wells in 2011.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young’s award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - DEC 2, 2001
Very thick, a must-try for stout fans. Smooth taste, the chocolate flavoring is just right. Unfortunately I didn't quite finish my bottle when we arrived downtown for the night, so when we got there I had to dump it. But then I gave the bottle to a friend who is really good at throwing stuff, he launched it pretty far and it shattered impressively.

Kodos (205) - USA - NOV 18, 2001
ANything with chocolate in it HAS to be good, and this stout is no exception. I think 'double' chocolate is an overstatement, but this beer does not disappoint. Trying this has peaked my interest to try other chocolate stouts.

MOboy (510) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - NOV 6, 2001
I really enjoyed this fantastic stout. I do not think it was anything remarkable, but it left me curious to try other chocolate stouts. This would be a wonderful dessert drink (especially after a heavy italian dish with a white sauce). Most likely I will buy this again (unless I find one that is better).

1.1
Sneevil99 (4) - USA - NOV 3, 2001 does not count
Bland falls flat in your mouth .... would like more carb. in it can taste the alcohol

K-V-F-L (292) - LaVista, Nebraska, USA - OCT 25, 2001
Refreshing in that the taste was not overly sweet; a 'bitter chocolate', if you will. Very well integrated and sultry. The proper name, as the bottle says, is 'Luxury Double Chocolate Stout'.

FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - OCT 17, 2001
Delicious, smooth stout. Good chocolate caracter, but still with some bitterness.

HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - OCT 15, 2001
UPDATED: JUN 15, 2006 If you are looking for chocolate, you will sure find it here! You can taste it throughout. I am partial to porters and stouts anyway, but this is very good stuff. This actually tastes better than Rogue Chocolate Stout, but it scored lower because of the faint aroma. Update: Tried this beer in nitro cans on 6/11/06 and it is a good bit better.. more chocolate comes through in the aroma and flavor.

lshockey199 (23) - USA - OCT 8, 2001
great great great ..................................................

canary dog (784) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - OCT 4, 2001
What a smooooooth beer. Creamy and delicious, with almost zero aftertaste. Very mild, agreeable finish. Nice roastiness comes up after the beer warms in the room for a while. This is the stout to drink when you are in a mellow mood. The best stout to turn a novice on to.

npdempse (935) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - OCT 3, 2001
Decent chocolate and mocha flavors, but I was really expecting a more robust flavor. In general, it was kind of thin.