Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston's)
Style: Sweet Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 1024   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles at the Brewery Tap and in the USA. Also available filtered and pasteurised in nitro-kegs at The Brewery Tap.
Brand acquired solely by Charles Wells in 2011.
A beautifully hand crafted beer with an exceptionally smooth palette and a fruity aroma. A dark, ruby-coloured stout, almost black from a distance, with a beautiful creamy head. Fuggles and Goldings hops. 20% Slovenian Goldings added 10 minutes befofe end of boil.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

PhillyBeer2112 (2958) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2000
I just can't seem to get behind the Young's line of beers. They all just seem to fall short on body and malt flavor. This is no exception - extraordinarily mild and thin mouthfeel. Tastes fine, but very little flavor, even as I kept letting it warm up for over 30 minutes.

Fantomasus (291) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 29, 2000
Looks and smells like a beaut! A little watery though.......................

P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - DEC 18, 2000
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2003 nice chocolate oatmeal aroma, creamy head, rich, very rich. i've never had the bottled version but if the can is inferior like everyone says, i can't wait to try it. Lorin would like this beer, she seems to be a youngs fan, but she was a wuss and wouldn't try it. soft core!

Zach Diesel (905) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - DEC 14, 2000
Real good. I love the double choclate, but didn't know what to expect out of the oatmeal, let me tell you I was pleasantly pleased.

mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - NOV 15, 2000
A great Oatmeal Stout with the nitro widget. Slightly more reserved than the bottled version, but very creamy and smooth. Maintains a moderate amount of dark roasted malt flavor throughout. Semi-dry finish.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 8, 2000
Somewhat disappointing - maybe I got a bad can? I enjoyed the slight burnt, malty flavor, but overall I thought it was kind of bland. I also sensed a somewhat stringent aftertaste. I'll need to try another one sometime to confirm this though. Maybe I'll look for it on draught (if that's possible to find).