overall
Brewed by Charles Wells
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3800   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007. Brand acquired solely by Charles Wells in 2011.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young’s award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brettpace (176) - New York City, New York, USA - OCT 23, 2005
I enjoyed this beer. Great choclaty taste, lite on the carbonation. It went down my throat smoothly. A very good beer. A bit expensive, but in life, you get what you pay for. Excellent.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
steprous99 (28) - Orlando, Florida, USA - OCT 21, 2005
I’m not a fan of this type of beer, very similar to guiness, no carbonation at all. the coolest part was watching it all move around after it was poured, it was from a can i didn’t taste any chocolate flavor. I think i’ve seen this even at 7-11s or circle k’s which is odd for such a highly rated beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
GarrettB (1562) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 20, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2009 I like beer. I like chocolate. But I don’t like being punched in the face with malts when I’m expecting beer and chocolate. I had my heart set on Young’s ever since I first laid eyes on its royal purple coat. I waited weeks for the perfect moment to enjoy the promise of a deep, dark chocolate reverie, looking longingly at it during those difficult days of absterntion. Every morning I woke up and ran to my cupboard to make sure no dastardly bandit had taken it the night before. I even put a pillow in on the shelf so that the chocolate stout could rest in lavish luxury. To me, Young’s was a close friend; someone to comfort and be comforted by. However, close friends still have the capacity to turn on you; to surprise you and stab you in the back. In Young’s defense, this chocolate stout didn’t do that. Instead, it approached me directly and spat its over-bearing malts hatred in my face. What had that purple façade been hiding all these weeks? What I had imagined was a sweet concoction with a chocolate blend. All I got was pure over-burnt malts. All I got was a poorly made stout. All I got was a mouth coated in the gunpowder sting from surfeit bitterness. Not even a scoop of vanilla ice cream could tame the iniquitous brew. I got hurt, marred by a friend and a malady. I shall learn my lesson and take caution for the next time a charismatic shyster appears on the shelves. March 24th, 2009 - The nitro version was much, much tastier. I also think this is easier to drink with some experience with heavy-duty imperial stouts. Definitely tastes more like chocolate than a beer, and I’d be eager to try the nitro version on ice cream. Glad I re-attempted this, but hard to say much about it other than it tastes like a chocolate energy drink with suds.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pbjclimber (150) - Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 18, 2005
This beer poured thick with a tan head. It had a chocolate taste with a very slight coffee aftertaste. It was a more of a dark chocalate (bitter) taste then anything. This is a good stout, but I have had better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kepano (277) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 17, 2005
When my friend and I looked up this beer to see what people were saying here, we could not have been more excited. Chocolate and beer sounds like a winning combination, if it’s done right. I half expected this to pour out like pure chocolate syrup, or at least taste like a Guinness that had accidentally been gifted of the Mayans’ liquid gold. The pour was uneventful, a black liquid capped of a small fizzy tan head. The aroma was very straightforward, seeming like heavily roasted malts. The flavors echoed the nose and only added a disagreeable burnt bitterness. It felt like drinking really bad coffee mixed with pure over-roasted cocoa beans. What a disappointment! Needs a lot more sweetness for balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ayumbomb (63) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 15, 2005
After you pour this thing, sit back and watch the magic that occurs (you’ll see). This beer is not quite like the milkshake or chocolate milk I have heard it compared to, but I will abmit I very much enjoyed its flavor. Worth trying out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dan0 (9) - Elon, North Carolina, USA - OCT 15, 2005 does not count
When you were a kid, did you ever drink a milkshake that was just absolutely so delicious that you just couldn’t help from drinking it fast? This beer is certainly in the same vein. A rich dark beer with a carmel head that lasts the whole way through, a very notable cocoa and malty aroma that is only surpassed by it’s rich, chocolately flavor. As far as mouthfeal, this beer is smooth, creamy and reminicent of a Guinness or Caffrey’s in feel. The taste, however, is sweet and delicious.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bigassfish (140) - Naperville/Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 14, 2005
Pours black with tall carmel head. very smooth medium body. roasted chocolate malts.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Storm (2684) - Amager, DENMARK - OCT 14, 2005
50 cl bottle. No yeat in bottom. Very dark brown colour with a great white head. Not much but notes of chocolate. Wonderful taste of chocolate that ends in a smooth and delecious finish. A really great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Veer (362) - Landskrona, SWEDEN - OCT 13, 2005
Yes, this is a nice one. It’s really dark and dense. It smells of cocoa, dark malt and hops. Deep and rich, but not overwhelmingly complex. It tastes quite bitter and still sweet. It’s bubbly and thick and has a strong maltiness that I like. Rich and hard not to wolf.