overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston’s)
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3593   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007. Brand acquired solely by Charles Wells in 2011.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young’s award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Medium to thin viscosity and thankfully mostly opaque and black in appearance. Loose tan sponge-like head stands about an eight of an inch tall. Sweet and roasty aroma is characterized by chocolate milk straight from the cafeteria carton, dark hot chocolate, some sort of nice toasty s’mores generate and a malt combo spawning a discreet bubble gum motif. Campfire smoke flavor gives way to the mildly roasted coffee bittering agents. A decisive syrupy movement marks the otherwise medium-to-light body while carbonation hides the rest. Confectionary bakers chocolate and barely brazed pecans provide additional flavoring, transitioning to cocoa powder and a milk chocolate Easter bunny from the Dollar Store. Sticky, slick assembly, finishing with a bitter resonance and a dried out tongue. Just another sweet stout in my book.

mik82 (34) - ENGLAND - SEP 28, 2005
My favourite beer. Balanced chocolate flavour is lingering but not overpowering. Lovely dark colour and lasting head (from bottle). Not too sweet either. Could drink loads of the stuff. Shame I can’t find it in the UK at the moment.

Dogfish120 (143) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - SEP 26, 2005
Upon opening this bottle my nose was overwhelmed with the rich aroma of malt and chocolate. Perfect rocky head with a color that the sun couldn’t penetrate. Very well balanced for how sweet it smelled. Must try for soutys.

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 22, 2005
Bottle from LCBO. I found this bottle in my stash, and I have no idea how long it had been there, but the best before date was June/04, so it was definately well-aged. Whether that’s a good thing for this beer is debatable, but it seemed OK to me. Very dark colour, one of the best looking stouts I’ve ever seen. Aroma is roasty, a little stale perhaps, but pleasant. Mouthfeel is thin - my biggest complaint about the beer. Flavour has bitter chocolate alongside some roasted coffee notes. I’ll have to get another bottle soon and try not to sit on it for quite so long.

Heatwaves (54) - Orange, California, USA - SEP 20, 2005
For me, virtually all stouts seem to be overpowered by overtones of intense coffee flavors. This one is really no different. I detected the chocolate flavor, but only as a secondary accent to roasted and slightly burnt coffee beans. Just a bit too bitter for my tastes. I’d take Sam Smith’s Oatmeal Stoudt over this any day. On a quick side note, I do agree with another reviewer, in that one of the coolest parts of this beer is the color. It really is JET BLACK. Throw in a nice head to boot and it looks fantastic.

ervan (37) - Redwood City, California, USA - SEP 20, 2005
A great finish-the-meal beer with strong chocolateness (duh) and wonderful coffee bitterness. Drink this while eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream and you’re gold.

TrevorFloyd (309) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 20, 2005
With tastes of roasted chocolate and coffee, this medium to thin bodied stout seemed a little too safe for me. Maybe I was spoiled by the imperial I had before, but this tasted too bland. It achieved what it was going for, but I just wasn’t overly impressed.

RazingDreamz (123) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 19, 2005
Subtle chocolatey aroma, near-perfect tan head, dark, medium bodied, malty, coffee stout taste, finishes long and bitter, like dark chocolate.

UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - SEP 18, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2005 Perfect looking beer, as one would expect from the nitro-can. Jet black, Guinness looking head. Not much smell other then some very slight sulfur. Palate is pretty smooth. Taste, however, a little on the bland side. Maybe because I prefer coffee stouts to choco-stouts, but this is so-so. Not much to report. Slight chocolate and slight sour. I enjoy the Young’s Oatmeal Stout much better. My party store sells beer as old as Queen Elizabeth. So, I’ll give it another try one day.

bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 17, 2005
It has a nice color to it, very dark, my favorite. aromas of chocolate and a hint of chocolate, or maybe coffee. watery, but, rich flavor. overall a decent beer