overall
Brewed by Charles Wells (Marston’s)
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3797   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007. Brand acquired solely by Charles Wells in 2011.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young’s award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

jkane (21) - USA - MAY 20, 2005
This is a very rich beer. I prefer it over most others. Just wish it wasn’t so expensive.

chrisfrey (15) - Franklin, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 18, 2005
With the double chocolate in the name, I expected more of a chocolate taste. But alas, the taste was quite decent, with hints of chocolate and not much else of note.

Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 16, 2005
Creamy deep brown pour with 1/4" retained head. As advertised, this is a sweet and chocolately stout... both in aroma and taste. Very mild and easy to drink with a powerfully smooth mouthfeel. Not too much other than chocolate in the taste, save for some nutmeg and what I believe was a little coffee. This would make the perfect foray into stouts for the novice beer drinker.

BillyM (151) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 14, 2005
The name is a good desription for this tasty stout. Good rich texture to play along with the malty chocolate taste (which is not overdone). Suprisingly mild finish, almost too mild. ($2.99/500ml)

lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Pours a pitch black with a dense creamy brown head. Smells of sweet dark malt and bitter chocolate. Tastes smoky and creamy. Smooth and milky with underlying sweet chocolate flavors. Milk chocolate is what I am tasting. Slightly bitter as it warms. A dry finish and the bitterness lingers after the swallow. easy drinking for a stout. Very smooth and sweet. A really good stout and that’s always a good thing.

thehinge (292) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Aroma has hints of fruit and chocolate. Pours black with ruby hints. Small off white head with no lacing. Palate is very good....it’s nice thick beer.Front end is very malty with a sweet, chocolate finish.

Louipa (121) - USA - MAY 9, 2005
Maybe I don’t have a refined palate yet, but I didn’t like this at all. It was very fizzy. I didn’t get a lot of smell off of it. Its kinda like chocolate malt soda with alcohol. The carbonation may have ruined it for me so maybe I’ll try it again one day and let it sit for a while. I had it in the bottle. bah.

Newbie (25) - Denver, North Carolina, USA - MAY 5, 2005
This is a great sweet stout. Has a strong smell of chocolate. The texture is creamy. Taste is of smooth chocolate.

Jaedde (4) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 4, 2005 does not count
My English isn’t good enough for doing "expert" coments. But I can say that I got my first bottle of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout while working at a local chocolate store (yes!) back in 2002 here in Denmark. The store sold the brew, so I had to taste it! May I just say that the palate of this stout beats everything!

WesBeerGuy (62) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - APR 30, 2005
Looks like a stout in all the right ways. Nice think fluffy mocha head. Smells like Guinness with Hershey bars. Very lightly carbonated. Tastes like a classic stout, but slightly sweeter with a hint of chocolate. The chocolate tastes comes out more in the aftertaste, which is quite pleasant. Pretty good, I’d say. But still wouldn’t make my top 10.