overall
RATINGS: 678   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A full bodied mellow porter with a rich dark color.

stemcell00199 (21) - worcester, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2002
This a lot better than the Black and Tan they have. By far, the best the brewery has made that I have tasted.

hoohoosdad99 (5) - Lock Haven, USA - JUN 20, 2002 does not count
I am not a fan of the Yuengling Lager but I love this stuff. As my friend says it is like a candy bar in a bottle.

nevditz (16) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 19, 2002
tasty, dark and cheap in pennsylvania. my #1 purchased beer

NJBeerman013 (1054) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - JUN 6, 2002
Slightly thin and a bit slimey in texture. Good flavor. Not bad.

Oakes (17668) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 1, 2002
Very dark brown; aroma of liquorice, prunes, buckwheat honey, burnt raisins - this is macrobrew? Slightly fizzy, but fairly smooth in its dark malt palate - hints of black currant & liquorice, finishing slightly watery. A decent brew today; thirty years ago I would have been making pilgrammages to Pottsville.

Davhgbrew (948) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 10, 2002
O.k I joked about how old this brewery was, and how they should have been able to brew good beer by now...but that was after trying my first beer from this brewery ’Lord Chesterfield ale.’ This porter was surprisingly very good. Roasted coffee aroma, moderately carbonated, moderately bitter. Smooth creamy mouthfeel, not watery or thin in the middle, and it finishes dry with a nice coffee/chocolate length.

obxdude10 (2324) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 28, 2002
Lots of body to this brew, kept a nice head even out of the bottle, rich malty flavor, not as dry as I expected, balance was a bit off, but still a good porter

krisfleet (130) - Sharon, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2002
A great dark beer. The best PA has to offer.

porter103499 (7) - USA - APR 19, 2002 does not count
Pinnacle of beers. Closer to a stout, not sweet at all. Easy to drink, a small quantity or a large quantity.

Nate (4279) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 10, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2005 Decent malty aroma, with a bit of coffee and chocolate tempered by some mild carbonic acidity. Dark brown clear, with thin light tan lacing head. Medium body with medium-high carbonation. Nice roasted malt taste, good sweetness and balancing carbonic acidity. Bit watery overall, but for me has a nice sentimental quality of a dependable dark beer that I’ve enjoyed for years. Dusty dry hops in the finish, with a mild sweet tanginess in the after.