overall
RATINGS: 2352   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%

egajdzis (6588) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2003 Amber color with decent white head (larger than I was expecting). Malty, diactyl flavor, actually has more flavor than other beers at this price. Going to school in Philly, we lived off this stuff, now its a treat when a friend's got it for free.

RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Okay stuff, only moderately better than macroswill. Very metallic (from the can?) and light; not much taste. Gets a little sweet after 3 or 4 12oz. though, but without that nasty macro aftertaste.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 29, 2004
In the 22 oz. bomber bottle. The bottle caught my eye, so I thought "what the hell." To my disappointment, it was a twist cap and could not be put into homebrew service. However, that was not the only let down to this little Pennsylvania favorite. Pours a rich amber color, but virtually without carbonation! No head unless you hop into the glass and splash around a little with your swim fins. Smells like water. Doesn’t taste much different than aqua vitae either. After having a Frankenheim lager earlier this evening, I must say that this lacks the same lager yeast flavor. However, the two lagers are equally wet. I think that I must be missing something here, as the ratebeerians seem to respect the Pride of Pottsville.

cazort (565) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 30, 2005
This one is a lot softer than the "regular Yuengling" a.k.a. "Premium Beer". Extremely soft, mild taste. Very grainy flavour. Hint of hops, but very little bitterness, no bite. Extremely smooth, almost sweet. I would not say watery, nor bland, but this one is way too smooth for me.

ganache (5903) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 11, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2008 Finally, to the scientific re-rate: Oh, the memories! Green bottle. Very little aroma, perhaps a little dust on top of old barely-there hops. Deep golden body with a quickly-fizzed white head. Taste is vaguely malty, sweetish cereal grains and a near fruity bg. Light body and an indistinct aftertaste. This tends to be a little sweeter than most pale lagers, and there’s a bit more caramel in the back. Smooth enough feel with some oblique crispness. I’ve had considerably mixed experiences with this staple beer; in peak form, it’s clear better than BMC and even edges up toward the top of its bland category as a refreshing campfire/BBQ drink, but there have been far too many light-struck and otherwise skunked bottles and kegs to validate awarding any praise. A shame, Pottsville region, you nearly had something to pride yourselves in.

molassesfan (202) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 27, 2006
From my notes, August ’04. Amber color with a thin white head. Slightly bitter taste. A bit dry and defined. Aroma of malts. Watery palate. Better than macro junk, but no match for their porter.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 16, 2006
I guess being in Pittsburgh for the second time, I have to try this. Served on tap at Primanti Bros. Clear copper body. Minimal head. Stale lagerish aroma, minimal hops. Same with flavor. Okay commoner beer. I suppose it goes good with the Cheese Steak sandwich.

starfireming (309) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - NOV 5, 2006
Malt grain aroma. Thin amber colour. Doughy flavour with a little funk. Drinkable, though.

DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 25, 2007
Draft. Golden color with a small white head. Flavor was weak and watery. Refreshing, but definitely nothing special.

T2Tool (352) - Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA - MAR 2, 2007
How I went this long without rating this beer I don’t know. Having lived in PA for five years, this is as common as the Miller/Bud/Coors in that area. And while slightly better than those brands, still leaves you searching for something with more taste.