... This rating is private !

Reads 2242 • Replies 25 • Started Friday, September 15, 2017 6:28:21 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 06:28 Fri 9/15/2017

... I'm Always curious when anyone I know rates a beer really low, or really high.
Today, 2 of my friends rated a beer 0.5. i clicked on both, and both gave me ' this rating is private'

Is there an option now to make your ratings private ? I never saw that...

Or have we fallen into sensorship ?
I hope i'm wrong here, since this would sound like inbev is starting to mix in, hiding the worst of their ratings...

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 06:33 Fri 9/15/2017

It happens when you 'rate' on the app...

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:35 Fri 9/15/2017

It's when a "rating" with fewer than 75 characters is entered using the app. These are essentially ticks but, for some reason, have been given the name "private reviews". They don't (shouldn't?) count towards the user's rate count and (I think) don't count towards the beer's score.

They do have their uses - for example, you can see which beers from a particular brewery you've had on the brewer page (ticks don't show there) and you can more easily see which beers other people have had for bottle shares / trading and the like.

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 06:37 Fri 9/15/2017

ok thnx :)

SinH4
beers 15466 º places 416 º 06:43 Fri 9/15/2017

The 5s and 0.5s happen mostly when you try to scroll down in the app.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:42 Fri 9/15/2017

Originally posted by chriso
It's when a "rating" with fewer than 75 characters is entered using the app. These are essentially ticks but, for some reason, have been given the name "private reviews". They don't (shouldn't?) count towards the user's rate count and (I think) don't count towards the beer's score.

They do have their uses - for example, you can see which beers from a particular brewery you've had on the brewer page (ticks don't show there) and you can more easily see which beers other people have had for bottle shares / trading and the like.

I'm working this out now. The proposed short term solution to roll out Wednesday is for your shown ratecount to be just viable reviews/full reviews and for your reviews section to paginate in a way where it shows all your reviews.

The proposed long term solution is as follows:

1) reviews are sortable by private/public
2) ticks are merged as private ratings
3) ticks on the web site are treated as private reviews
4) eventual web/mobile tick/rate experience merged
5) user profiles show total review count, private review count and public review count
6) beer pages show private review count and public review count and total review count (useful for brewers)
7) all competitive rating lists refer to full review ratecount
8) private reviews are not viewable by visitors to a person's profile

Your feedback welcome!

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 11:05 Fri 9/15/2017

Allowing private reviews is a really stupid concept. Letting users sort reviews by private/having different numbers for each type of rating is stupid.

Rates are rates. Ticks are ticks. To change the system is compromising and undermining everything Ratebeer stands for.

This seems like some sort of corporate garbage proposed by people who have never rated a beer.

Imagine if Yelp let me privately rate places. That is what you're allowing with the beers.

bytemesis
beers 15302 º places 1595 º 12:08 Fri 9/15/2017

I don't understand the thought behind calling them "private" or making them not viewable by others. I would just call them ticks.

Private sounds like there is something to hide, when its really just that they are treated somewhat differently in site mechanics as detailed above.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 12:20 Fri 9/15/2017

I don't get the need for this either. Seems like a lot of work to make things worse. If you're allowing someone to "rate" a beer on the site or app, it should count as a rate and be able to be seen. If not, that's what ticks are for (which I've never had any use for anyway).

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 12:35 Fri 9/15/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Rates are rates. Ticks are ticks. To change the system is compromising and undermining everything Ratebeer stands for.

But that's the whole idea of the app isn't it? To make it easy for people to be able to mark the beers they've had, and ascribe a score to them, without having to go through the rigmarole of writing a full review.

You or I might not agree with that but I think that's an argument that's been & gone.

What these things entered on the app that aren't full reviews are called is a matter of semantics. FWIW I'm not sure "private ratings" is the best term but there we go.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 12:35 Fri 9/15/2017

Certainly not up to pre ABI ratebeer standards