1st attempt at a sour beer

Reads 1839 • Replies 11 • Started Wednesday, July 1, 2015 11:24:22 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sylvia40
beers 6 º 11:24 Wed 7/1/2015

I bottled this Berliner Weisse experiment in Feb 2015 and now, 4 months later I cannot detect any sourness at all. Made it without boiling, added WLP 630 Berliner Weisse blend, and hoped I’d notice some sourness coming through by now. Does it really take a year, or will it never come through?

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 11:28 Wed 7/1/2015

This should be moved to the Homebrew forum, and I’m sure you’ll get some responses once it is.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 11:42 Wed 7/1/2015

Moved to homebrew. And it will continue to sour but lacto acts very quickly. If the culture you used didn’t have much lacto in it or if you fermented it cool then it might take longer.

Maybe try making another batch and fermenting a little warmer (after primary) for a few days and see if that speeds up the process.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 12:32 Wed 7/1/2015

The Lacto blend from white labs is weak at best. Most Lacto strains like it hot and anaerobic. To get any significant drop in pH, it needs to be in the 90F range, which will give all kinds of off flavors from any sacch present.

I used that strain in a beeline and after about 2-3 years it finally got to a decent sourness.

Next time, I would recommend pitching pure lacto for at least 48 hours before adding sacch. It would also be ideal if you could have a CO2 purge to avoid any butyric acid production.

Other than that, CLevar may chime in with some good info.

CLevar
places 23 º 12:42 Wed 7/1/2015

homers information is good, but with one point of clarification.

If you are pitching a pure culture of LAB, you won’t need to worry about butyric acid production or other nasty acid production. Those off flavors are associated with Clostridium contamination, typically from grain often used to sour, or worse, because someone did a sour mash. When mixed/unknown cultures are used, great care should be taken to keep oxygen out of the wort. When pure cultures of a LAB are used, it’s very much species (or even strain) dependent. For example, I culture the LAB that I use on plates in atmospheric oxygen levels, and it grows just fine.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 12:47 Wed 7/1/2015

Heed the CLevar advice. He has steered me in the right direction!

HornyDevil
13:58 Wed 7/1/2015

Originally posted by sylvia40
I bottled this Berliner Weisse experiment in Feb 2015 and now, 4 months later I cannot detect any sourness at all. Made it without boiling, added WLP 630 Berliner Weisse blend, and hoped I’d notice some sourness coming through by now. Does it really take a year, or will it never come through?

What was your recipe?

Did you hop this beer at all?

sylvia40
beers 6 º 16:01 Thu 7/2/2015

I used 4 lbs of two row pale malt and 4 lbs of wheat. 1 Oz. of Hallertauer in the mash.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 16:36 Thu 7/2/2015

The best way to make Berliner Weisse consistently, in my experience, is by kettle souring, so I’d look into that. It lets you choose and fix your sourness. Definitely use a pure lacto culture, either bought or cultured from grain (or yoghurt or whatever). Massively overpitch to get souring done quickly. 12 hours should be an absolute maximum, in my view. I also think brettanomyces is essential to a good Berliner Weisse, so I’d add a nice, fruity, mild brett strain as well.

I’d pretty much write-off your current brew as far as getting any more sour is concerned. If you really want it more sour, pour all the bottles into a fermenter and add a bunch of lambic dregs and a little maltodextrin. The carbonation should blast out Co2 and prevent oxidation, if you fill the fermenter and don’t leave too much head space. To be honest, if it’s tasting okay, I’d just drink it and have another go.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 22:07 Thu 7/2/2015

Don’t forget to add the dill

HornyDevil
08:20 Fri 7/3/2015

Did you boil this at all? If so, then if you boiled for 60 minutes with 1 oz. of 4.5 AA (assumed) Hallertauer as a mash hop, you’re going to end up with around 13 IBUs (40% reduction of the 22 IBUs calculated by Beertools) which would certainly inhibit lacto. If not, then I don’t know what to tell you other than what everyone else has to consistently say about the lackluster souring capacity of the White Labs lacto strain(s).

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer