2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63440 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 12:01 Wed 7/2/2014

Come on in for lively discussion regarding: academic standards, hill jacks’ burning couches, how "Golden" Al is at recruiting despite the fact they can’t even contend in the ACC, clarification as to why the hell UCF is ranked, Iowa possibly has the easiest schedule in program history, and how long until Cheese brings the Dak for heisman talk like his delusional fanbase?

I will do my best to not drunk post f bombs this year during Auburn games.

Sorry, I have nothing for Syracuse. Their football program is more irrelevant than UCF now.

SHIG
admin
beers 13045 º places 502 º 19:19 Wed 7/2/2014

Damn dude ’Cuse should have stayed in the AAC so they could have went to a BCS bowl like UCF. Hell that win allowed them to pull the 60th ranked recruiting class in the nation for 2014 and right now they are sitting at 87 for 2015. Does it get any better than that?

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 12:18 Tue 7/8/2014

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 13:14 Tue 7/8/2014

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
Golden

Damn. You beat me to posting this.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 13:22 Tue 7/8/2014

We’re only about 50ish days from the first games. 53 Days from First Saturday.

What are we thinkin’ about Pick’em, boys?

Did everyone pay up?

SHIG
admin
beers 13045 º places 502 º 20:13 Tue 7/8/2014

I’m in again because I have to regain my title. However I only received 3 of 8 boxes from 2 yrs ago and don’t expect the others ever.

P.S: Hint to winning...Taking ’Cuse and the points every game for the easy 1 pt!

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 05:36 Wed 7/9/2014

UCF will have another good year. Will it be a 1-loss year like last year? Doubtful.

I think our new QB will be fine, but you can’t just replace Top-5 draft pick talent, especially at UCF. We have a monster receiving corps that will help him, though. I’d put them up with any in the country. RB is young, but I think he is better than Storm Johnson. OL replaces 3 starters...

Pretty much the entire D returns. We did a great job last year, considering our D-Line was destroyed by injury. I think we should be much improved and should have another high draft pick next year with LB Terrance Plummer. Kid is a monster.

Houston returns a lot, though. They will be tough. I say we still win the AAC, but end up stuck in Tampa or some crap for a bowl.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 06:16 Wed 7/9/2014

More Miami...

Their whole sports department needs to be shut down.

It is amazing that news reporters are able to find out so much more information than the NCAA. The NCAA is completely worthless.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:15 Thu 7/10/2014

An informative read on the new Playoff Format for those who need a refresher:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10767521/a-primer-new-college-football-playoff

SHIG
admin
beers 13045 º places 502 º 09:24 Thu 7/10/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
An informative read on the new Playoff Format for those who need a refresher:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10767521/a-primer-new-college-football-playoff

Worth a read, but damn they got scrubs to be the board members.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 13:06 Thu 7/10/2014

Auburn primer (eat my wall of text)

Nick Marshall arrived on campus in the fall last year and now has a full year under his belt in Malzahn’s system. Ironically, this is the first time in Gus’ coaching history that he has had a returning QB. Indications are he has made great strides in accuracy over offseason.

We lost Greg Robinson on OL, but return everyone else with great depth. A former 5 star will slide into Robinson’s LT spot. Tre La Soul was awesome, but the mauling oline and zone read were the reason he had huge holes all year. There is no shortage of backs at RBU and true frosh Roc Thomas is a complete Cadillac Williams clone.

We have the greatest depth and talent at WR that AU has probably ever fielded. Sammie Coates (#1 Freak)on one side and newcomer Duke Williams on the other will prevent teams from stacking the box. Some really good, fast slot receivers. The O will be frightening.

Sadly, DE Carl Lawson has some undisclosed knee injury and will miss part of the season. He is every bit as good as Clowney, with a better head on his shoulders. The young defense made strides over the season and took it to FSU. Above avg. SEC defense this year for AU.

Lost both kickers, that sucks and will hurt at some point.

Alas, the schedule. Early "trap" game at night on Thursday in Manhattan, @ both Mississippi schools (MSU has a nasty d line), @ UGA, @ Bama and home to Corndogs and USCe.

We’ll have to earn it, but if Nick Marshall can just hit his open receivers that the Malzahn offense creates... oh my vern. Duke Williams/Sammie Coates are going to blow shit up.