2015 Hops!!!

Reads 1215 • Replies 8 • Started Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:56:37 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Homer321
beers 5364 º places 54 º 08:56 Wed 10/28/2015

Just got three pounds of simcoe and three pounds of citra from Farmhouse yesterday. Still awaiting mosaic from label peelers.

Anyone else get (or even brew with) any 2015 hops yet? Would love to hear reports of mosaic, as the batch I got last year came across with HUGE orange flavor/aroma and was absent with any onion/diesel/garlic

Homer321
beers 5364 º places 54 º 14:03 Mon 11/16/2015

So no one has brewed with this year’s hops yet? I’m a week into fermenting an all simcoe pale ale. I’ll split the 10 gallons and dry hop them differently.

blipp
beers 13190 º places 219 º 14:10 Mon 11/16/2015

Planning on an IPA/APA in the 5.5 ABV range for my next batch, but don’t have anything specific worked out yet... Mosaic sounds like a good route.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 14:15 Mon 11/16/2015

Crap, need to get some. What are the cool sites to get hops from these days?

HornyDevil
14:17 Mon 11/16/2015

Originally posted by JulienHuxley

Always been partial to HopsDirect, myself.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/

Homer321
beers 5364 º places 54 º 14:21 Mon 11/16/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by JulienHuxley

Always been partial to HopsDirect, myself.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/

I use do buy from them but the way they release them now, it seems you have to buy one hop, have it shipped before it sells out. By the time they release something else, the original hops you wanted are sold out. I’ve switched to Yakima Valley and Farmhouse now (also higher than 1 pound limits) and just did my first pre order with labelpeelers. Also, Yakima valley has USPS flat rate shipping for up to 4pounds or up to 10 pounds which is way cheaper than fedex or USPS.

blipp
beers 13190 º places 219 º 14:34 Mon 11/16/2015

Anyone used Comet before?

B_Hoppy
10:33 Thu 11/19/2015

Couple pounds each of Simcoe, Mosaic and Citra coming from my friend Dave at Freshops.com. I know there’s a few growers in the Willamett Valley growing these now (under agreement from the developers in WA). It’s going to be interesting to see how different they’ll taste from the Washington grown ones I’ve used in the past.

Homer321
beers 5364 º places 54 º 07:09 Sun 11/29/2015

Never used comet, BeeLip.

Kegged 10 gallons of pale ale with all simcoe in the kettle. On kegged with simcoe, other with mosaic. Overall both are more fruit and citrus forward than I ever would have expected and completely lack and pine, resin, or cattiness I am used to from simcoe. I wonder if this is due to the health issues of some crops. I’ll give it a go with a smaller batch in the future but I must say I am disappointed in this crop.

One week into fermenting an all citra IPA. hops to have that kegged in a couple weeks and will report back on that.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer