AB InBev Acquires Golden Road in Los Angeles

Reads 4726 • Replies 40 • Started Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:24:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Skyview
admin
beers 6263 º 12:24 Wed 9/23/2015

The domino effect continues. LINK

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 12:32 Wed 9/23/2015

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:38 Wed 9/23/2015

So now I go from passively avoiding their beers to actively avoiding them. Not a very momentous change in the industry.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 12:40 Wed 9/23/2015

This doesn’t surprise me at all, really. Like Saint Archer and their recent sale, Golden Road has always come across as a largely marketing and investment venture more than it has a brewery. At least their beer has gotten better with the hiring of better brewers in the last couple years.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 14:00 Wed 9/23/2015

I like their hoppy stuff, but it hasn’t been available except during CA trips. Not a big hit personally, but it’s never gonna stop.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 15:54 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by brokensail
This doesn’t surprise me at all, really. Like Saint Archer and their recent sale, Golden Road has always come across as a largely marketing and investment venture more than it has a brewery. At least their beer has gotten better with the hiring of better brewers in the last couple years.

Yep. No surprise here either for all the same reasons. Normally I don’t have a problem with these types of deals, but it’s getting a little ridiculous now.

I don’t think it’s necessarily bad for beer overall, and may actually make good beer more available, but I worry about the small independent brewers getting squeezed out of the market as more of these deals are made.

It wasn’t a problem before, but I see it becoming a problem in the future for the little guy and that makes me sad.

obguthr
beers 11684 º places 22 º 15:56 Wed 9/23/2015

So they’ve made acquisitions in PNW, SoCal, Midwest, and Mid-Atlantic. Who might they be targeting in the Southeast, if anyone?

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 16:16 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by obguthr
So they’ve made acquisitions in PNW, SoCal, Midwest, and Mid-Atlantic. Who might they be targeting in the Southeast, if anyone?
cigar city?

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 16:42 Wed 9/23/2015

Has Terrapin sold out yet?

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 16:52 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by joeneugs
I don’t think it’s necessarily bad for beer overall, and may actually make good beer more available, but I worry about the small independent brewers getting squeezed out of the market as more of these deals are made.

It wasn’t a problem before, but I see it becoming a problem in the future for the little guy and that makes me sad.

How is this bad for small brewers? I’ve been saying the same thing for a few years at least now and I’m still convinced it’s true:

shelf space is limited, tap space is getting harder to find, but for the small brewers (the very small ones that can sell everything in house) a bigger market can only be good. The guys making 7-10 bbls or maybe even 15-20 if they’re good enough, can sell it all in house and have no reason to distribute. There will always be local bars that carry some local taps too.

It’s bad for the mid sized brewers that are fighting to get their six packs in every gas station and grocery store (Stone, Ballast Point, Port, AleSmith, Green Flash, Speakeasy, Sierra Nevada, Drakes, etc). But don’t feel bad for them, that’s just how business goes. They can sell out or compete.

Also, keep in mind that the market is still growing. Everyone from every little podunk town is into going brewery hopping. Plenty of room for breweries to sell more beer.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 17:08 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by joeneugs

How is this bad for small brewers? I’ve been saying the same thing for a few years at least now and I’m still convinced it’s true:

shelf space is limited, tap space is getting harder to find, but for the small brewers (the very small ones that can sell everything in house) a bigger market can only be good. The guys making 7-10 bbls or maybe even 15-20 if they’re good enough, can sell it all in house and have no reason to distribute. There will always be local bars that carry some local taps too.

It’s bad for the mid sized brewers that are fighting to get their six packs in every gas station and grocery store (Stone, Ballast Point, Port, AleSmith, Green Flash, Speakeasy, Sierra Nevada, Drakes, etc). But don’t feel bad for them, that’s just how business goes. They can sell out or compete.

Also, keep in mind that the market is still growing. Everyone from every little podunk town is into going brewery hopping. Plenty of room for breweries to sell more beer.

All good points. I guess it’s less bad for the really small guys. Mid-size independent breweries will most likely be extinct eventually though. Is this bad for beer overall? I don’t know. Possibly, but possibly not. It will just be a different landscape in the future for sure.