AB InBev Acquires Golden Road in Los Angeles

Reads 3954 • Replies 40 • Started Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:24:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 17:10 Wed 9/23/2015

If the macros have their way, we will be down to about 100 breweries in the US in ten years time.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1529 º 17:26 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by X
If the macros have their way, we will be down to about 100 breweries in the US in ten years time.

They’re buying the companies that make beer people want to drink. Why would they shut that down?

joeneugs
beers 6371 º places 241 º 17:37 Wed 9/23/2015

The shelf space issue is the biggest problem. It won’t be long before the beer isle is filled with Lagunitas, 10 Barrel, Goose Island, Saint Archer, Firestone Walker, Golden Road etc... There’s some great beer in that group, but it will without a doubt squeeze out anyone else with ambition to grow and expand.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1529 º 17:49 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by joeneugs
The shelf space issue is the biggest problem. It won’t be long before the beer isle is filled with Lagunitas, 10 Barrel, Goose Island, Saint Archer, Firestone Walker, Golden Road etc... There’s some great beer in that group, but it will without a doubt squeeze out anyone else with ambition to grow and expand.

It’s been that way for quite a while. Most of the little guys cant afford to buy a good bottling line anyway, so it’s kind of a moot point. Every once in a while a small brewery will do a run of cans with one of those mobile canning trucks but they aren’t making enough to get on the shelf at Safeway.

joeneugs
beers 6371 º places 241 º 19:57 Wed 9/23/2015

My point is that the option of growing will be taken away from small brewers. They’ll have to stay small and local because the shelf space will be taken by the big boys and their acquisitions. There will be no more Stone, Sierra Nevada or New Belgiums who grow and stay independent.

Beerdrinker79
beers 2188 º places 7 º 20:31 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by joeneugs
Originally posted by brokensail
This doesn’t surprise me at all, really. Like Saint Archer and their recent sale, Golden Road has always come across as a largely marketing and investment venture more than it has a brewery. At least their beer has gotten better with the hiring of better brewers in the last couple years.

Yep. No surprise here either for all the same reasons. Normally I don’t have a problem with these types of deals, but it’s getting a little ridiculous now.

I don’t think it’s necessarily bad for beer overall, and may actually make good beer more available, but I worry about the small independent brewers getting squeezed out of the market as more of these deals are made.

It wasn’t a problem before, but I see it becoming a problem in the future for the little guy and that makes me sad.

Yup, the big brewers know how to market and push their products, meaning less shelf space on store shelves and less tap handles in bars for the small craft brewers. I see this as a huge assault to independent craft brewers. Big beer isn’t just trying to get in the game but overtake the little guy. It pissed me off when supposed craft beer fans support these deals!

beastiefan2k
beers 4705 º places 276 º 20:32 Wed 9/23/2015

its hard for me to see the benefit for ABInbev to make this deal (as well as the 10 Barrel purchase).

Beerdrinker79
beers 2188 º places 7 º 20:44 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
its hard for me to see the benefit for ABInbev to make this deal (as well as the 10 Barrel purchase).

Easy, shelf space, even if they lose money, it’s all about market share and shelf space!

Beerdrinker79
beers 2188 º places 7 º 20:49 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by brenn79

Easy, shelf space, even if they lose money, it’s all about market share and shelf space!

That’s why you see a million different pack sizes of Bud light, it’s not about customer choice, or what is convenient for their customers, if they have fifty different pack sizes, then that is that many less that the competition has on the shelf.

beastiefan2k
beers 4705 º places 276 º 22:53 Wed 9/23/2015

Originally posted by brenn79

Shelf space? I have never heard of this brewery, is it something you find on the selves of Ralph’s? Elysian is major PNW self space, 10 Barrel not really. Where does Golden Road fall in this spectrum.