AB InBev Acquires Golden Road in Los Angeles

Reads 3956 • Replies 40 • Started Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:24:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 178 º 02:33 Fri 9/25/2015

Originally posted by OldGrowth
why is Firestone Walker mentioned in this thread?

FW now owned by Duvel-moortgat who are helping them to expand production and distribution, initially on the west coast then rest of US

OldGrowth
beers 3473 º places 204 º 04:51 Fri 9/25/2015

Originally posted by Beersiveknown

FW now owned by Duvel-moortgat who are helping them to expand production and distribution, initially on the west coast then rest of US

yes, I know, but I didn’t view it as a bad thing, Duvel has a nice portfolio, A/B no so much, even with the recent aquititions
plus lets face it, most of us at this level of "enthusiasm" for good beer will avoid these brands for the most part.

Reid
beers 3038 º places 94 º 05:10 Fri 9/25/2015

yes, I know, but I didn’t view it as a bad thing, Duvel has a nice portfolio, A/B no so much, even with the recent aquititions
plus lets face it, most of us at this level of "enthusiasm" for good beer will avoid these brands for the most part.

Crap! i vowed i would not return here..but you are correct.
And they never tried to destroy craft beer in its infancy

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 07:23 Fri 9/25/2015

This all sounds very reminiscent of what happened over here in the 80’s. Real ale boom (the craft beer of it’s day) followed by massive consolidation. Ultimately the big guys kept the brands they wanted while centralising operations and shutting down breweries all over the place.

Bontus
beers 922 º places 20 º 07:48 Fri 9/25/2015

And today Duvel Moortgat announces to have bought a stake in Dutch brewery t IJ

hawthorne00
beers 5635 º places 59 º 08:05 Fri 9/25/2015

Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
This all sounds very reminiscent of what happened over here in the 80’s. Real ale boom (the craft beer of it’s day) followed by massive consolidation. Ultimately the big guys kept the brands they wanted while centralising operations and shutting down breweries all over the place.

Yes, and lots of times before that. Economies of scale in brewing and distribution mean big is cheap. Then you need to vertically integrate via tied houses or tame distributors to shift the volume. Then you have to bland out to save costs and serve the biggest and least discriminating market. That leaves room for niche players and we start again.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 178 º 08:14 Fri 9/25/2015

Originally posted by Reid

Its a great portfolio and they’ve looked after their individual component breweries well, but I think the OP’s point was that with more clout they’ll take shelfspace at the expense of smaller and local brewers

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 21:06 Fri 9/25/2015

Fuck the police, fuck the police, fuck ’em.

But seriously, fuck ’em.

OldGrowth
beers 3473 º places 204 º 08:09 Sat 9/26/2015

Originally posted by Reid

Its a great portfolio and they’ve looked after their individual component breweries well, but I think the OP’s point was that with more clout they’ll take shelfspace at the expense of smaller and local brewers

point taken, but I don’t mind the Duvel group getting shelf space, because so much local is Meh

poisoneddwarf
beers 3874 º places 26 º 16:06 Sat 9/26/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
The pattern in the past year seems to be to buy a brewery in a large West coast city where ABInbev has lost or losing market share.

With these parameters, is there another brewery in the West side of the country that is ripe for picking? I don’t think they would go into Colorado b/c its Coors’ backyard. They may want to stay out of Mormon country in Utah. Not sure if they feel threatened by craft in Nevada, Idaho, or Arizona.

However, Montana seems like definitely a place that has lots of craft, lots of drinking, and ripe for picking. Probably looking for a "cool" "IPA" friendly brewery.

Well, as far as Idaho goes, they took 10 Barrel, which has a brewpub in Boise. And as for Colorado, there’s already a Bud plant in Fort Collins.