AB InBev loses fizz as U.S. Bud Light sales fall

Reads 1472 • Replies 14 • Started Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:17:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 12:20 Fri 10/27/2017

I love their Prohibition commercial where he pops the twist off cap with a bottle opener.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 13:00 Fri 10/27/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Originally posted by puzzl
It's OK, Ratebeer will save them.

You’re a salty mother fucker. If you hate Ratebeer so much, leave. Seriously. Just constant garbage from you.

I am trying to save Ratebeer so I can save ABInBev.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 06:43 Sat 10/28/2017

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 11:53 Sat 10/28/2017

One thing that articles like this often overlook is the way the price of beer has risen dramatically over the last decade or so. For brands that seem to offer something extra, like craft beers that are more flavorful with different styles and varieties, or even imports with an exotic or special feel in the minds of the average consumer, this isn't necessarily as big of a problem, because people will pay something for those if they can and if they care about beer.

However, the thing about Budweiser and Bud Light, and the same probably goes for it's chief competitors like Miller and Coors (It'd be interesting to see if their sales numbers are down also), which are more viewed as commodity beers, a high price is often going to push people up or down the price later to other brews. What I mean by that is that while some might like the taste or branding of Bud and Bud Light and accord that a bit of value relative to similar competitors, ultimately there are a million similar beers out. The difference between Budweiser and MGD is about the difference between a Coke and a Pepsi. Some people have very definite preferences between Coke and Pepsi, but if one were half the price of the other, or even 3/4, most people would probably be willing to change brands.

I think the guy who walks in a liquor store with the idea of buying a 30-can cube of Bud probably now is buying a 30-can cube of one of the zillion of "sub-premium" adjunct lagers on the shelf that are in a lower price category but taste "close enough". In some instances, people have access to regional brands of adjunct lagers that are significantly less expensive but taste better. Budweiser is still relying on the old Chevy/Ford type of intense brand loyalty where people wore logoed baseball caps and wouldn't accept a ride in "their" "rival" brand's truck or sip their favor beer's "rival" brand (I have an Uncle who will drink nothing but Budweiser and Bud Light, abstaining from alcohol if they aren't present, but he's of retirement age. Millennials don't think like that, as a generalization- obviously there are expections.)- and the beer market just isn't like that any more (I'm not sure the auto market is either, in most places). People see a high price tag attached to Bud and will either say "I can get a similar beer for less" or "I can trade up a little and get a high quality craft brew".

My strategy for Budweiser would be for them to cut prices. Advertising tagline: "An iconic beer, a classic price".

I see a lot of ads for Goose Island, and I think that's smart, too. The craft segment is growing, and they own a legit craft brewer now (More than one, actually). As might as well ride that to some extent. But their core brands are going to be their key driver for the foreseeable future and they have to find a way to turn those around a bit.