All Cantillon & 3 Fonteinen pulled from Ebay

Reads 53930 • Replies 369 • Started Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:36:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 16:28 Mon 7/30/2012

Originally posted by ajcobb24
You cannot ship beer to someone else without a license and some states prohibit it entirely. FedEx and UPS look the other way but officially prohibit it because it’s against state laws! Shall I go find the statutes for you?

Is it really against all state laws?

Additionally, is shipping actually illegal.. or is it any interstate movement?

Savvy1982
beers 1706 º places 70 º 16:29 Mon 7/30/2012

Just glad they put a stop to it. I have never eBayed for beer, and never will. Being Canadian, I just buy my Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Tilquin, and Cuvee Rene off the shelf at my local like anyone else.

tbadiuk
beers 10 º places 1 º 16:32 Mon 7/30/2012

Exactly! Off to fill my bathtub with Fou’Foune and maple syrup for my daily soak....

Ted

ajcobb24
beers 20 º 16:32 Mon 7/30/2012

Without a license you cannot. Im gonna get a link to state laws for you real quick.

craytonic
16:38 Mon 7/30/2012

Anyone tried mybeercellar.com ?

MrChopin
beers 4304 º places 100 º 16:52 Mon 7/30/2012

Celebrating the temporary halt of beer on ebay is actually depressing. In the last two years, I’ve seen too much backdoor shit from "Hook this guy up, he’s world class" type guys.. hell, from brewers themselves. The amount of greed on all sides of craft beer is more than can be stomached--a massive avalanche--if you truely try to define a consistent "respect beer" morality code.

"Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown."

irishred1975
17:04 Mon 7/30/2012

I sell beer on eBay. I’m here to say we’re not all greedy douchebags. There are some. And there are retailers who instead of putting bottles on shelves put them on eBay. And then there are the rest of us. Beer lovers who just need to pay the bills.

I sell a bottle or two to finance my passion for beer or when I’m short on cash. I’ve used eBay to get rid of things I didn’t like when trying to trade was too much of a hassle. But I’ve never sold anything I received in trade. Honestly, the amount of profit is so small. Unless you get things wholesale, only sell whales or are broke-ass broke, it’s not worth the effort.

I don’t consider the "market value" when I buy beer. I buy beer because I love beer. But some times you need money more than you need beer. If I somehow landed a super-rare $1200 Cantillon, would I think about selling it? Absolutely. And then I would drink it because that’s who I am.

aplusbreaks
beers 330 º places 1 º 17:08 Mon 7/30/2012

Originally posted by fewa
Originally posted by ajcobb24
eBay sellers are smart they’ll find away around this.

Indeed, there are so many other ways, and new ways will emerge anyhow.

What I don’t understand, what makes wine different from beers concerning ebay anyway?

The difference is with wine, you need to be an established retailer. The average Joe cannot place wine for auction on ebay. With beer, anyone and their mom can put up beer as a "collectable bottle". Ebay realizes that the value of wine is the contents, not the bottle. Where as many older bottles of beer are actually valuable and not intended for consumption. This is where the loophole is.

Chipalsa
beers 1310 º places 32 º 17:18 Mon 7/30/2012

I’m for buying beer on eBay.. to an extent. Sometimes I find really good deals on stuff I can’t get here in FL. But it’s when you see the people selling bottles for $200 makes you second guess that method of attaining a beer. Those selfish assholes are in it just for the money, not us RateBeerians who honestly try to get those rare beers. This is like price-gouging concert tickets, it’s not really fair for anyone.

GrumpyOldTroll
beers 60 º 17:24 Mon 7/30/2012

Originally posted by monsterzero
Originally posted by Naven
Good. Shut it down. All it does is fuel egos, play on people’s insecurities, and give people the false belief that they have to have the latest and greatest beer. Learn to love what you have at your local beer shop, and enjoy life. And if you can’t obtain that super rare beer from Cantillon, guess what? You will live.

Can you say with 100% conviction that this is completely true for everyone?

Forget everyone -- how about anyone?